THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who should be declared the winner of the BBQ Brethren "On A Budget" Throwdown?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chicken fried steak got me. I typically try to avoid voting for Casey, what with being from DALLAS and all, but he stayed true to our people's cultural heritage. For that he gets my vote.

Bucc, is there anything you don't try to start a fight about?! Damn rowdy Aussie. :p
You can't vote for that.
It isn't BBQ, it isn't even grilled...it's fried food.
Pick something else!
Damn xenophobes :tsk:

About fighting, no...I never start fights...it just isn't in my delicate and diplomatic nature...

SmokinAussie and I both know our way around economical Asian food but at this budget neither of us could find a way to enter.
Now we watch thinking "well fark, at $7.50 per plate we Farkin could have. Entered and joined the fun"
My point is, can the winner please be considerate when choosing the next TD?
In the meantime, in the brotherly spirit of the brethren, fark the lot of ya!:becky:
And may the best man win!

Only just seen this comment...

Buccs is right. I was gonna enter, but we do have some price issues here. It's really all down to the duopoly of our main food distributors in this country. Now, I'm not looking up the internet for this, but as I remember it, one of your Presidents.. probably Roosevelt (guessing) introduced a bill to prevent the monopolisation of the food market by Supermarket conglomerates.

That did not happen here, so with our very small population, over a massive land space, these 2 Supermarket companies established supply chains which dictate prices they pay to suppliers and prices you pay at the register. They screw the supplier and they screw the consumer, so our high Aussie dollar buys far less than anything you can get in the US. AND they advertise "prices are down".. it's sh!tting me to tears..:mad::mad::mad::mad2::mad2::mad2:

So... feed a family for $15 bucks??? With my 2 man boy sons and a 14 year old daughter???
:rofl:

OK Rant off... sorry...

Actually, I remember a post by Guerry in Woodpile, where he said he gave some beggar 50 cents to get some food. Guerry thought the beggar was just fooling him, but then found that the bloke had gone and bought a can of beans and a drink with that money... man, you cannot buy a can of anything for that money here, and a drink from a Supermarket will cost you a dollar on sale anyway... :shocked:

:tsk::tsk::tsk:

OK Rant off again!

Cheers!

Bill

I took it just the opposite way: the description says to cook a meal for under $15. That doesn't mean to feed a family of 4 or a family of 10 or an army, just one meal, to feed what I considered to be one person. On a budget? I figure whoever called this one spends a LOT more on food than I do. I could eat steak and lobster on that budget. I figured this was just another one in a long line of "open" categories. All these categories are good, but there really isn't any restriction or challenge.

No-bones about it
go-to meal
on a budget
olympic
noobians vs veterans

All of these are great categories on their own, but I can enter the same hamburger, steak, fillet of fish, lamb kebabs, or lobster tail for all of these entries.

You can't vote for that.
Pick something else!

About fighting, no...I never start fights...it just isn't in my delicate and diplomatic nature...

Don't be so hard on him, Bucc. There are a whole lot of people who think that you make BBQ by submerging food in boiling liquid, like this:

IMG_2498_thumb%255B1%255D.jpg

Same recipe, just a different liquid. These people will come around once they get exposed to what real BBQ is.... I hope. :thumb:

Apparently, in Dallas they use the "hot-oil crutch" to make their BBQ. If the Dickey's BBQ I've had in the airport is representative, I can't really blame them.

You can't vote for that.
Pick something else!

Ahem, the thing under my Griswold #8 cast-iron skillet is a Weber 22.5" Master's Touch Grill.

picture.php

That's right, pan frying over charcoal -- no temperature adjustment knob on that kettle full-o-coals. That took some grillin' skills right there. :cool:

CD

I took it just the opposite way: the description says to cook a meal for under $15. That doesn't mean to feed a family of 4 or a family of 10 or an army, just one meal, to feed what I considered to be one person. On a budget? I figure whoever called this one spends a LOT more on food than I do. I could eat steak and lobster on that budget. I figured this was just another one in a long line of "open" categories. All these categories are good, but there really isn't any restriction or challenge.

No-bones about it
go-to meal
on a budget
olympic
noobians vs veterans

All of these are great categories on their own, but I can enter the same hamburger, steak, fillet of fish, lamb kebabs, or lobster tail for all of these entries.

I also assumed it was 15-bucks for one meal. There was some joking on my part about having to feed your whole family, but without going back through the whole thread, I thought it was decided that one plate of food was the standard.

As for challenging and inventive throwdowns, I hereby promise to name a real duesey should I win this Throwdown. So, vote early, vote often, and vote for the dog. :becky:

CD

Yep, that's why I voted for it. I've fried on coals before, and it's a challenge to say the least. Saying that doesn't count is like saying a pizza made on the Weber with a Red Sky stone isn't grilling or real BBQ. OR a dutch oven cobbler! OR!...that's all I've got really, but still!

Might not be "real" BBQ or Grilling, but it'd count in a throwdown. :p So nyah, nyah, nyah!

Just think Buc, had you decided to run with it you could have possibly won and then made the next throwdown consist of authentic BBQ/Grilling foods that cost a minimum of 90 dollars a plate, but nooooo.

Ahem, the thing under my Griswold #8 cast-iron skillet is a Weber 22.5" Master's Touch Grill.

picture.php

That's right, pan frying over charcoal -- no temperature adjustment knob on that kettle full-o-coals. That took some grillin' skills right there. :cool:

CD

Yep, that is a cast-iron skillet that you grilled there. It looks a little overdone by the color for my taste, but some people like them like that. You did not show the skillet in the final TD pic though. I guess you couldn't wait and ate it before you snapped the picture. :laugh:

Yep, that's why I voted for it. I've fried on coals before, and it's a challenge to say the least. Saying that doesn't count is like saying a pizza made on the Weber with a Red Sky stone isn't grilling or real BBQ. OR a dutch oven cobbler! OR!...that's all I've got really, but still!

I don't understand the comparison. Within the Weber, the pizza or Dutch oven cobbler are exposed to an air medium filled with smoke. When you cook a pizza or cobbler in your pit, it tastes different than in your oven. If you are frying, the medium is hot oil. I personally cannot tell the difference if I fry over charcoal or over gas. You could argue that the charcoal-heated oil has absorbed some smoke also, in the form of liquid smoke. It seems to me that you're saying that if you add this

liquid-smoke.jpg

to this

IMG_2498_thumb%255B1%255D.jpg

then you get BBQ! :becky: Of course, I could leave out the liquid smoke, and put that big pot of water on a charcoal fire and boil the ribs that way. :thumb:

In all seriousness, we've had many discussions of what BBQ is within Q-Talk and everyone has a different definition. For some people, it simply means that it is cooked outside. For others, it is hot dogs and hamburgers. For others still it is boiled ribs. For others it is fried food. I find the voting patterns of the TDs quite educational.

There was discussion on this early in the thread and a clarification, albeit ambiguous. Somehow, I forgot whose TD this was and took cd's reply as the gospel. Looks like he covered his outs.:thumb:

So I'm a little confused, is this a meal for one, or a meal for 4, meal for 8...?

Oooo, special rule. The meal must feed every person living in your household. :heh:

I can eat gooooood on fifteen bucks.

Moose... er, I mean CD :becky:

Sorry, there is no answer this one. We have an average of 7 adults in our household on any given Sunday. Normally our food bill well exceeds $15. But I would be willing to bet I could stretch my food dollar and somehow manage. Of course I would take into consideration items that are already on hand and account for that proportionately. Feed your crowd for fifteen bucks. It's simple. No special rules. Do what you can do.

I took it just the opposite way: the description says to cook a meal for under $15. That doesn't mean to feed a family of 4 or a family of 10 or an army, just one meal, to feed what I considered to be one person.

I also assumed it was 15-bucks for one meal. There was some joking on my part about having to feed your whole family, but without going back through the whole thread, I thought it was decided that one plate of food was the standard.

As for challenging and inventive throwdowns, I hereby promise to name a real duesey should I win this Throwdown. So, vote early, vote often, and vote for the dog. :becky:

CD

Last edited:
I think I just need to stop visiting the throwdown forums. It just makes my head hurt and confuses me, and my wife doesn't like me that way...

Most people find that if they add "Gore" to their ignore list, things become much better. That was the first thing I did when I got here and it's been good so far. :thumb:

I think I just need to stop visiting the throwdown forums. It just makes my head hurt and confuses me, and my wife doesn't like me that way...

It's true there is alot of Banter here but it's all in fun. One rule I learned is to just pay attention to Bigabyte and the one who named the TD as far as the rules go. Any real confusion, Big clears it up quickly. Most of the time these Farkers self regulate.

You have a real good entry. Hang in there Bro. :thumb:

Yep, that is a cast-iron skillet that you grilled there. It looks a little overdone by the color for my taste, but some people like them like that. You did not show the skillet in the final TD pic though. I guess you couldn't wait and ate it before you snapped the picture. :laugh:

That cast iron skillet is about 80 years old. What do you expect it to look like. You may look a bit "overdone" too, when you are 80. :rolleyes:

CD

Back