***VOTE - BBQ Brethren "On A Budget" Throwdown - VOTE***

Who should be declared the winner of the BBQ Brethren "On A Budget" Throwdown?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was explaing why there may be angst, and no way can you cancel at this point, the voting is well under way.

Also, the way we all bullchit around and go back and forth about the rules I got confused by page two, so my understanding may be different to others.
Trying to make peace, not stir chit up.
Just be understanding is my message above.

That being said, I admit I mentally deleted entries that I didn't think fit the criteria and I chose from the ones I thought did fit my understanding of the criteria.
That's my prerogative tho.

As CD stated on the last page. He trusts the integrity of the Brethren. So do I.

I was just pointing out that if it comes down to a votes in a TD or my integrity, it's a no brainier.

It's no fun to win unless it's honest.

There are no rules on how to vote. Just rules on how to enter. All dishes in the voting thread met the rules posted in the OP of the entry thread. You may also wish to refer to posts 37, 38 and 39 in the entry thread (see below)...or not. Frankly, it does not matter whether you follow my advice or not because there are no rules on how to vote.:thumb:

Receipts are not required. If you want to provide a photo of a receipt, that is fine. Nobodies integrity is in question. I just want people to shop and compare what they are spending their hard earned money on.
No special rules. Let the voters decide.

Being the thoughtless American that I am, I did not consider that this is a global site. Yes this Throwdown is in Yankee dollars. So whatever the exchange rate in your country is ( you figure it out ) it should be under 15 bucks.

Sorry, there is no answer this one. We have an average of 7 adults in our household on any given Sunday. Normally our food bill well exceeds $15. But I would be willing to bet I could stretch my food dollar and somehow manage. Of course I would take into consideration items that are already on hand and account for that proportionately. Feed your crowd for fifteen bucks. It's simple. No special rules. Do what you can do.

It never even crossed my mind to question whether any of the entries cost more than 15 bucks. Maybe I'm naive, but I trust the the brethren in this TD didn't cheat.

CD

Dude! I was just busting Mongo's chops. I guess i forgot the smiley on the end of that one. Cheese and crackers, i didn't mean to start some chit. No questioning the brethren integrity here.

Well, I feel like I am one of the entries that “took advantage” of the feed the family rule. It is just me, my wife, and our 7 month old, so I fed us.

I apologize if people feel that I cheated or manipulated the rules, it was not my intention. Next time I will be more careful to understand the rules.

I think a few people took "Feed your crowd for fifteen bucks" too seriously. It wasn't a rule to be enforced, but if someone had made a killer meal for seven adults on fifteen bucks, I know I'd be pretty farking impressed.

Thanks to bigabyte for clarifying that every entry met the rules for inclusion. Let the voters decide -- unless I lose in a close race. :becky:

CD

Harumph! Harumph! Harumph!

And what punishment shall we dole out to fingerlickin' for stirring up this little uprising???

:becky:

Dude! I was just busting Mongo's chops. I guess i forgot the smiley on the end of that one. Cheese and crackers, i didn't mean to start some chit. No questioning the brethren integrity here.

Yeah, well, you busted Mongo's chops, and he went and pushed me in front of the bus, and bigabyte had to put his frog down and moderate.

I hope you will be more careful with your future posts. :mmph:

CD :biggrin1:

LOL, well I am an accountant working for government contractors, with a hell of a lot of experience with cost proposals and indirect rate management. Think service centers. Those prices at H-Mart are amazing. A huge head of cabbage for $0.84? Costs at the HT and Safeway are easily twice the price and this stuff looks good!

The place is probably at least 9 miles away, so I picked up the other vegetables not needed for the cook. I certainly did not need the extra cucumber and potatoes. The cilantro, as I mentioned in my post, was sitting in fridge when I found it and was trying to figure where it was supposed to be used. One of my guests does not care for it and when I looked through my lists, it was supposed to go in the marinade which I made hours earlier.

I divvied up the other pack of chicken, into 3 packs for freezing and used one of them this evening to make chicken salad and an awesome chicken parm this evening. Both packs contained 10 thighs. The larger one I used for the cook, I was able to cut up into 3 or 4 pieces each.

I fed 4 people with that dish and had probably half the salad and 4 or 5 pieces of chicken left over. I still have about a 1/4 size chunk of the cabbage left, cubed potatoes from the salad that will make a single serving of hash browns one morning, a handful of blanched string beans which I had with my parm, and maybe half the beans sprouts left (found the receipt in the car, 42 cents not 62). The stuff I had on hand were "incidentals":wink: and were no more than a tablespoon or two and the oil was 1/4 cup. The eggs were a material addition and I added them in my final costs. Reminds me of my CPA exam years ago in Practice and Theory. One of the accounting problems required in that exam was a cash flow statement. I was off a bit and my totals didn't balance. The amount was not material, so I added an outflow item in Operating Activities called "Plug" and entered that amount. I got full points for that problem.

My saving grace was the peanuts. The guy at Five Guys okayed their acquisition and I didn't have to steal them.

I've got complete confidence in my estimates and feel I would succesfully survive an audit. You know they send people to jail for this thing they call fraud.

Thank you for your compliment. It was awesome! But my God, shelling peanuts and deboning 10 thighs?:doh: My back was killing me. I don't think I sat for 8 hours.

rogwadd, I just want you to know my mention of interesting math was not directed to you specifically and meant as a ribbin' for all. You still have an awesome entry and I am very impressed with the look of all you did. Still in a quandry of whom to vote for.:clap:

I think the "feed the family" thing was not an actual rule. I hope not. Seriously, I cooked one plate of food because I was the only one eating my entry. I honestly didn't expect people to match that for a family of four -- although I did joke about it. From what I've seen, it looks like most, if not all, of the entrants understood that.

I think bucc's cost difference issue could have been dealt with easily. Like I said before, the voters are not going to know that what costs two-bucks a pound here costs ten-bucks a pound downunder. We'd look at the entry and judge the cost based on what we pay for the ingredients. I was more than willing to cut people some slack for regional cost differences, and posted something to that effect. Nobody posted any opposition, that I can recall.

I don't know, bucc, but maybe your limitations were somewhat self-inflicted. Everyone else seemed to be pretty flexible towards your situation.

Once again, I don't have any issues with any entries in this TD. I have total confidence that every entry is within the rules.

CD

I'll cop that, I definitely suffer from a complex about honesty in actions so the self limitation fits my pattern.
That's fair.
Sorry for the interruption and friction.

Hey my multi-quote button thingy isn't working... :doh:

Oh well. What I was going to say was I know Jason was only busting my chops, and I in turn was only busting Bucc's chops too and figured Toast and CD would love to come along for a Dilly of a ride.

I think we should all follow Sgt Hulka's advice and... Lighten up Francis. :caked:

I'll cop that, I definitely suffer from a complex about honesty in actions so the self limitation fits my pattern.
That's fair.
Sorry for the interruption and friction.

Okay, let's have a big group hug, and get back to being our usual smack-talkin' whack-a-doodles, before I get sick from all this mushy stuff.

We all seem to agree that the entries are all legitimate, although mine is clearly more legitimate than Toast's. I can still see marks on his steak where the jockey was hitting it (Al Czervik mod).

I beat my meat... er, my steak. Tender, juicy, and smothered in pan gravy. And, anyone can grill corn. It takes serious skills to fry okra.

You KNOW you want some of that golden fried goodness, no matter how bad it is for your health. Give in to the dark side -- vote for caseydog. :becky:

CD

Oh well. What I was going to say was I know Jason was only busting my chops, and I in turn was only busting Bucc's chops too and figured Toast and CD would love to come along for a Dilly of a ride.

I think we should all follow Sgt Hulka's advice and... Lighten up Francis. :caked:

Do you think this is going to restore my trust in you? :mmph:

Voting for me would be a first step in the right direction: :biggrin1:

CD

absatively Posalutely Farkin' ehh!!

Do you think this is going to restore my trust in you? :mmph:

Voting for me would be a first step in the right direction: :biggrin1:

CD

Chicken fried steak is pretty tempting... Now if you would have done chicken fried sausage, I'd be all over it like... like... like... Mongo on chicken fried sausage. :mrgreen:

I decided to vote for Mongo's beef ribs, because I've never cooked beef ribs that I actually liked. They have always been way to fatty for my tastes. But, I have eaten some good beef ribs, and Mongo's beef ribs look pretty good. The bread was the perfect side for them. If there was anything else on the plate, I don't remember it. The ribs and bread were all I saw.

Okay, Mongo, you now owe me. :becky:

CD

I decided to vote for Mongo's beef ribs, because I've never cooked beef ribs that I actually liked. They have always been way to fatty for my tastes. But, I have eaten some good beef ribs, and Mongo's beef ribs look pretty good. The bread was the perfect side for them. If there was anything else on the plate, I don't remember it. The ribs and bread were all I saw.

Okay, Mongo, you now owe me. :becky:

CD

Thanks for throwing me a bone CD... :pound::pound::pound:

absatively Posalutely Farkin' ehh!!

Speaking of Farkin ehh... What's our next TD Mr. Last TD Winner?

waiting.jpg

Well... we're waiting!

I certainly wish I had the rules explained to me better. I had no idea or else I would've been in the lead with my specialty.

IMG_2498_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg

Where is Moose to explain the rules to me? :confused:

Back