THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

adstu

Found some matches.
I will be vending in my hometown next week, they are expecting 1000 people this year with 2 other vendors there. This is my 2nd time ever vending and I'm not sure on good price. I will be selling pork sandwich 4oz serving, ribs and because I'm only buying 10 -15 slabs I don't want to sell them by the rack or half rack I would prefer to sell them by 3-4 bones what would you charge. Not sure if I'm doing spare or baby backs. Possible I will do brisket not sure about the portion size or cost for that. Sides would be slaw, beans and Mac salad. I got 6 oz cups thinking $2 per side. Can drinks and bottled water $1 each. This will be in indiana what you guys think about prices and tips..... thank you

As has been said many times on this board: start at 3 times food cost. 3 vendors for 1k people is going to keep your gross low. I suggest you keep your sales price up a bit to make sure you cover OH. Maybe $2 a bone for ribs and around $6 for pork sammie. I also suggest you get your water/drink cost higher. Ice can cost as much as the drink. I normally do 5x cost rounded off on drinks. Old contractor saying: I'd rather be hungry than tired and hungry.

ac, I've been watching pork prices closely lately. I'm not a vendor but always been a numbers guy and always running numbers in my head trying to figure out BBQ profitability. Last weekend I saw R.D.'s spares at $2.13 / Lbs. = about $10.62 per rack average. At 12 bones per rack that = .825 per bone X's 3 = $2.48 a bone... You mentioned $2 each. I feel $2 is more appropriate but my numbers just don't work. Am I paying too much? The spares would have to come in around $8 per rack. I am not accounting for the trimmings left from the spares but what do I do with them to re-cap my rack cost? Hope I'm not running with this thread and if so please advise.

ac, I've been watching pork prices closely lately. I'm not a vendor but always been a numbers guy and always running numbers in my head trying to figure out BBQ profitability. Last weekend I saw R.D.'s spares at $2.13 / Lbs. = about $10.62 per rack average. At 12 bones per rack that = .825 per bone X's 3 = $2.48 a bone... You mentioned $2 each. I feel $2 is more appropriate but my numbers just don't work. Am I paying too much? The spares would have to come in around $8 per rack. I am not accounting for the trimmings left from the spares but what do I do with them to re-cap my rack cost? Hope I'm not running with this thread and if so please advise.

IMHO: your questions add to the OP's original post.

I'm having trouble with your math. Are you talking BBs or spares?

RD's babybacks come 3 racks and 9lbs to a package average. 3lbs a rack average. RD here is around $2.70 per pound so I get: $2.7 x 3=$8.10. $8.10/12=$.67 each bone.

Spares aren't as consistent in weight or number of ribs. Your equation is a 5lb rack (that's pretty big) which will probably have closer to 15 or maybe even 16 ribs. So: $2.13 x 5lbs= $10.65. And, $10.65/15 = $.71 ea.

This year we went to $7 for a 3 rib babyback serving. But that also includes CA sales tax. Famous Dave's was $6 plus tax for a 3 rib spare serving last year. Their booth was directly across the aisle from ours.

Thanks ac. These were actually a 2 rack pack and as you say they were big and meaty. I didn't even count the ribs as I always just figure 12 in a rack. Too late now because I took them into work yesterday AM and they were devoured in minutes. I will pay more attention on my next cook. I will say that they were so large that 2 was enough.

Back