Using margarine/butter while wrapping ribs?

hey... foil isn't food either..

<<pot stirring rib wrapper>> Yes I wrap ribs, no I don't use butter/marg/bacon fat.. I just add a little thinned out sauce and a light sprinkle of light brn sugar. I've done the JT method, and it was good. but it's kinda like (wait for it...) using blues hog to stand out.. it ain't gonna happen. It is luck.. the trick is to be VERY consistant with the end results, and hope for the best. I personally don't care for "butter" flavored ribs and chicken. if I want fat flavored meat, i'm making duck confit.

Skipping over mtbchip's remarks, back to the op. It's a competition. Regular people are judges, even if certified (hopefully they are so that they understand the rules and the mark to be hit).

Looking to the tenderness required (whether KCBS or another sanctioning body), it's extremely tough to be competitive with any consistency at all without foiling (or using butcher paper). Also, some people like heavily smoked BBQ, others like a little meat with their sauce. To try to hit that mid-point to appeal to everyone, we'll tend to use the foils and/or butcher paper to help govern the amount of smoke on the meat and to hit that mahogany red color so desirable.

To get the tenderness perfect, some will slather in butter, others something else. I've personally never cared much for the flavor of Parkay, but I do understand that buttery flavor desired. I use an apple juice mixture spritzed heavily before sealing the foil.

mtbchip, It's a game. Know the game, know the rules, understand how and who is judging the game, and then play the game....

Have only attended one comp. 14th overall out of 37 entrants at the recent Best Dam Barbecue in Boulder City Nevada May 24th 2013. YEAH....I DID see what a JOKE it is how the "BBQ" chicken is done. Soaked in sugar and butter, scrapped skins yadda yadda yadda.

BBQ competition food is a VERY different format than any BBQ I've prepared or eaten. KCBS guidelines have only lead to prize seeking crews, not really improving much on what hits the plate. That's just the way I see it. Pretty much a joke.

Got 11th in ribs at Best Dam with foil, parkay and brown sugar.

Foil isn't screwing around with food, despite my somewhat flippant remark earlier. :shock:

What BBQ cooks are trying to do isn't all that different from fine dining. We are trying to bring layers of flavor and complexity to the dish. A one note dish (porky, smokey, etc.) won't win, even if your friends and neighbors think it rocks in the backyard. A balance of hot, smokey, sweet, and savory will do better. Do you build a sweet profile and offset with acid in vinegar? Do you have front heat, back heat, or both? Will your dish be hot enough for those that like heat, and not be overpowering to those that do not? Do you honor traditional BBQ flavors, or try to introduce something different to set you apart?

Good cooks will consider these questions, and foil is a useful tool to introduce additional layers of flavors into the dish. It's hard to add savory elements like Parkay, acidic elements like vinegar, and sweet sugars (without caramelizing them) late in the cook without foil. Foil can also give you a wider window in which to make the product tender without drying it out. Can people win without foil? Of course. It is, however a useful kitchen tool for the BBQ cook.

Great post CBQ! What are some examples of ingredients to hit the "savory" notes to round off these ribs we're talking about. This has been my biggest struggle since starting.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ
Just nabbed 2nd place at Tag's BBQ Comp with my ribs. Did the Parkay, Brown Sugar, Honey wrap. 3-2-1 on a Weber using the snake method (for the judges). I think I'll stick with this for awhile:becky:

Great post CBQ! What are some examples of ingredients to hit the "savory" notes to round off these ribs we're talking about. This has been my biggest struggle since starting.

Parkay, Butter, Clarified Butter, drippings from your pork butt are options. I suggest trying one thing at a time, see if your score goes up or down. When I started, changed too much stuff at once to improve it was the biggest mistake we made. If you change 5 things, and your score goes up, you don't know why.

Back