Using Jaccard to make Sirloin Steaks for dinner

Use the jaccard judiciously against the grain. IE: blade of the jaccard severing the muscle fiber versus running parallel to it. It will work wonders. Also, think about a simple marinade or olive oil with some lime juice and wosty sauce in addition to the jaccard you WILL get tender meat.

A few days ago I did some sirloin on my Smokey Joe as a warm up for the Kettle Throwdown, oh,.... those photo's are still in the can :doh:, anyways I start Jaccarding at 0° (the compass point not the temperature), then 45°, then 90°. I flip and repeat. Sometimes I'll do it all over again, or break out the tenderizer (or my brisket hammer) and pond it into submission. :deadhorse:

ka89Kcg.jpg

Now, someone always brings up the fact that Jaccarding will introduce surface bacteria into the muscle. And I'm sure it does, and if the USDA was over for dinner they would say your ribeye should be cooked to 165°. Pre Jaccarding is one time I do rinse my meat :twitch:, it makes me feel better about breaking the rules and serving grilled sirloin or chicken fried steak 128°.

Last edited:
Steak to die for

I furiously attacked it with my knock-off jaccard, and then some black pepper, and worcestershire. It marinated for about 5 hours. It was tender and penetration of the marinade was good. It was a success!

I'll do this again, hopefully only for the flavor and not due to toughness.

But the thing is, I'll likely be dead tomorrow, since I didn't cook it to 165.

I have the larger 1 and it works great, no bones though lol had it for 8-10 years and forget I have it till I get a tough bite of steak

I've had one for years and while it can't help but tenderize due to tearing muscle fibers it makes the steak footprint unrecognizable to it's previous self. Haven't used it in years.
More often than not if I'm going to cook a Sirloin I'll just moisten with lemon juice add rub and work it over with two forks.
Ed

I use mine on quite a few cuts of meat. Use good food safety principles and I have close to zero concern of any contamination. Close to zero because nothing in life is guaranteed.

Wonder how Costco "safely" tenderizes all their meat...

Wonder how Costco "safely" tenderizes all their meat...

Glad you mentioned that, because I also wanted to come back to that. All of the labels have the warning - in fine print - about 165F, etc. They even blade tenderize the prime ribeyes.

If a retailer blade tenderizes, they will probably get significant less returns due to tough steak and ultimately more $.

As mentioned, I believe that industrial process tenderizes from the side. It seems they could trim up the outside of the large cut to reduce the amount of external surface bacteria, but the trimming itself would still technically spread it to the newly exposed surface. And I doubt they have the time to do such comprehensive trimming.

I'll ask the meat guy next time I am there if there are any extra steps they take to minimize the risk.

I said it somewhat tongue in cheek. I'm not at all concerned about the safety of the practice either from them or my own jaccard.

Back