Using Jaccard to make Sirloin Steaks for dinner

I got one of those a few years ago but only used it a couple times - didn't seem to make a difference even on tough cuts such as flank steak.

Just a thought...I'm no meat expert, but I know that how you cut your meat makes a difference in tenderness, like being sure to slice your brisket perpendicular to the grain. That said, if connective tissue of the meat runs parallel to the grain, then Jaccarding with that grain does nothing. I would think that you have to Jaccard perpendicular to that grain in order to cut the fibers of the connective tissue and tenderized the meat. All this is assuming that connective tissue does run parallel to the grain.
I'm hoping someone with more knowledge will comment on why I'm right or why I'm wrong.

Just a thought...I'm no meat expert, but I know that how you cut your meat makes a difference in tenderness, like being sure to slice your brisket perpendicular to the grain. That said, if connective tissue of the meat runs parallel to the grain, then Jaccarding with that grain does nothing. I would think that you have to Jaccard perpendicular to that grain in order to cut the fibers of the connective tissue and tenderized the meat. All this is assuming that connective tissue does run parallel to the grain.
I'm hoping someone with more knowledge will comment on why I'm right or why I'm wrong.
I was wondering something similar the other night with the steaks. After all, the steaks were sliced against the grain, meaning when the Jaccard was used, the blades were going in with the grain. I know that in the case of the chicken breasts, the grain was perpendicular to the blades. So perhaps there is something to that.

Have you ever tried the Jaccard on trout? Seems this would be a means of achieving the qualities of a Wagyu trout filet at much lower cost.

Thanks. I'm humbled that you didn't suspect I would use it to make something out of SPAM or McRibs.

I was thinking you would use it on a brisket and then try and cook it like a tri tip. You SO dissapoint! :tsk:

And, btw.....if YOU ever get more liberal, I'm going into hiding. Just sayin!

Allright, I suppose I should try Sirloin Steaks again. This time with the marinade. Geez, the things I do in the name of BBQ.:drama:

$35.00 MSRP

41Qd2KvZMLL.jpg

Already have

fork1-756519.jpg

What to do...what to do.

Thanks for posting this as well as the comparison, Chris.

Somehow I can't get my head wrapped around using a gizmo like that, as I tend to buy steak cuts that are already tender (like filet, tri-tip, rib eye, flat iron, & hanger) and don't need much more than a good seasoning and a proper cook.

I wonder what would happen if you tried it on some top round steaks?

I do see the benefit though of using it larger cuts of meat for greater seasoning penetration...

I wonder what would happen if you tried it on some top round steaks?

Mmmm... tenderized round steak ALA Chicken Fried Steak. Bring em on with country cream gravy, crunchy french fries and lots of iced tea. I can just hear me now squealing like a pig when I slide my feet under the table for that stuff.

Dusting off an ancient thread for a timeless and generally unsolved problem - tough steak!

A few weeks back I bought a pack of ribeyes from Sam's club (Costco was closed). The steaks look okay, but the first ribeye was tough. Sams does not blade tenderize their steaks like Costco (at least not these steaks). I tossed the other two steaks in the freezer. Grilled one a while ago, same deal - tough.

I really hate it when a steak looks pretty good but is a chew fest.

I have the third out and thawed. I am wondering what I can do to tenderize it. I have a small jaccard, but based on the comments here I should not expect it to make much difference.

Here's a question. It is my impression that the Costco blade tenderization is done on the whole uncut ribeye, and the blades enter from the *side*. So it mostly cuts across the grain. When a jaccard is used on the face of a typical cut steak, it is cutting with, and between, the fibers. That may explain why the jaccard used this way has little effect. So for those of you tenderizing full cuts, maybe that is something to try before you cut steaks.

But that still leaves me with a tough ribeye from Sam's club... I suppose the best use would be hoagies or similar, but I want a steak.

Use the jaccard judiciously against the grain. IE: blade of the jaccard severing the muscle fiber versus running parallel to it. It will work wonders. Also, think about a simple marinade or olive oil with some lime juice and wosty sauce in addition to the jaccard you WILL get tender meat.

Back