Used Party Gator advice needed...

Ron's point is spot on regarding the fire box.

As far as the inside goes, all it needs is a cleaning. I would think you would do that anyway as it is a used pit.

My biggest concern would be using the gas assist set up to start the fire.
Although it is an upgrade feature it scares the hell out of me. Especially since
one of our Brethren had a bad accident with one several years ago on a larger pit. Please make sure everything is in working order with the gas assist before using it.

Good luck with it. Gator makes quality pits so I'm sure it will work great for you.

No matter what you do the firebox will get some rust on it because the heat burns off any paint eventually. A good sandblasting and some high temp paint will make it look new for a while. You can also steam clean the inside and re-season if you want.

I'd offer $700 to "take it off of his hands" and see what he says.

Good move!

Thanks!

Ron's point is spot on regarding the fire box.

As far as the inside goes, all it needs is a cleaning. I would think you would do that anyway as it is a used pit.

My biggest concern would be using the gas assist set up to start the fire.
Although it is an upgrade feature it scares the hell out of me. Especially since
one of our Brethren had a bad accident with one several years ago on a larger pit. Please make sure everything is in working order with the gas assist before using it.

Good luck with it. Gator makes quality pits so I'm sure it will work great for you.

I plan to steam clean and season it once I get it here. I'll go over the gas assist but doubtful I'll ever actually use it. I've had my current smoker/ charcoal/ propane grill for 2.5 years and have never bought a tank for it.

I'd ditch the gasser starter myself.

I'm going to check it out, make sure it's tip-top and then decide.

Already set up a time to go get it! :clap2:

Call Ritch at Gator Pit if you got any questions. Tell him you picked up a used Gator and he will be more than happy to answer any questions you have.

the guys got a Bentley in the garage

he can afford to come down $100

:becky:

but I would grab it for $800 for sure

edit..

oops did not see you already bought it

congrats!!!

Call Ritch at Gator Pit if you got any questions. Tell him you picked up a used Gator and he will be more than happy to answer any questions you have.

Thanks! I plan to give him a call or shoot him an email tomorrow. I can home go a house full of sick people.

the guys got a Bentley in the garage

he can afford to come down $100

:becky:

but I would grab it for $800 for sure

edit..

oops did not see you already bought it

congrats!!!

Lol. I thought that was a Bentley too, it's a Mini Cooper. Guy was pretty cool too. He tossed in an ash rake and a stainless rib rack that holds 5 racks. As soon as I get the chance I'm going to clean it out and go over it. It needs a good steaming as well c

I own a party gator...paid over 3k for mine including shipping...so 800 is a steal...buy it before someone else does...one question (and this is a biggie). Does it have tuning plates? If yes buy it...If not offer 600...tuning plates are a life saver with this smoker

I bought a used klose 20x30 from a brother this summer. The fire box looked worse than yours but within a few hours of getting it home I had it looking like new. You made the right call to buy it, nice find.

I own a party gator...paid over 3k for mine including shipping...so 800 is a steal...buy it before someone else does...one question (and this is a biggie). Does it have tuning plates? If yes buy it...If not offer 600...tuning plates are a life saver with this smoker

No tuning plates and while I wish it had them, I think the $800 was still a great deal. Heck, shipping to this area is $500 alone on top of the $3Gs it cost new! The previous owner ordered it new and only sold it because he has a new one that should be ready any day. He wanted a larger one. He was really nice to talk to and tossed in an ash rake and stainless rib basket. The second upper rack and charcoal plate for the bottom have never been used.

I bought a used klose 20x30 from a brother this summer. The fire box looked worse than yours but within a few hours of getting it home I had it looking like new. You made the right call to buy it, nice find.

Thanks! :thumb:

My father in law helped me pick it up and he said we can use his media blaster to clean the rust off. I need to hit the store and get some high temp paint for it. But first, I'm going to clean the fark out of it!

Remember to Post some pics or better yet a video!!

You got it man! Here are some pics of it on the back of trailer after we got it home. Unfortunately, as soon as I wheeled it into the shop, it was locked away for the rest of the day because the entire family is sick and now I'm coming down with it.

Pics:
CA_01031401152416.jpg

CA_01031401154125.jpg

After checking Dallas Crsigslist list again I'd say you got an Excellent Deal - you oughta see the Junk on CL around here for $1000-$1200-$1500-$1800!!!! :shocked:

I'd give $800 - if it is as nice as he says. I'd of done gone and seen it cuz probally won't last Dallas area CL Is full of junk pits for A lot more $ right now!! Bunch of Crack Monkeys around here.......

Ain't that the truth. I've given up looking for a good deal on a used pit. Seems like anybody with a welder and a used propane tank feels like they can earn four figures.

After checking Dallas Crsigslist list again I'd say you got an Excellent Deal - you oughta see the Junk on CL around here for $1000-$1200-$1500-$1800!!!! :shocked:

Oh, we have plenty of junk here as well. I had found a Lang 36" for $850 but it was gone before I could move on it.

OHHH! You're gonna love it!!

I believe you are correct!

Great deal! Get to feeling better so you can use it.

Thanks man! It's a really nice day today and I'm aching to get out the and burn some wood.

Ain't that the truth. I've given up looking for a good deal on a used pit. Seems like anybody with a welder and a used propane tank feels like they can earn four figures.

Truer words my friend. After my last smoke I decided I wanting something nicer than the Char Griller Duo w/ firebox I've been using for about 2.5 years. I've always enjoyed it but have never really gotten into it and finally decided it was time to get something nicer and had a budget of $900.

I'm from Savannah and travel to Valdosta and I always see billboards for Lang Smokers. I looked them up and liked what I saw. That lead me to more research which brought me here. Started looking on CL for a good deal (read people had found used smokers on CL) and came across a never used Lang. It went quick so I kept looking.

I have a good friend whose father is a metal fabricator/ welder and builds smokers. I liked his stuff but I for a comfortable price I could get something a litte nicer. I didn't tell my friend. Here's his dad's pics: http://www.heltonswelding.com/Heltons_Welding/Pictures.html

Found a place out of Watkinsville, GA that makes what looked like decent RF smokers and they offer a 36" patio version for $850. Was very strongly considering it when I did another CL search and came across the Gator. The last owner had what looked like pics from the Gator website but they were VERY pixilated. I sent a message asking for more and he texted me the ones at the top of this thread. That's when I posted up here because it just seemed to good to true.

Back