Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I cook Duroc ribs

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • I cook Duroc butts

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • I cook some other upscale ribs or butts

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
We cooked commodity butts and Farmland ribs last year. My butcher carries Compart Duroc and I cooked a few slabs a few weeks ago. They were the best ribs I've cooked but he let me pick through what he had to find the best slabs. He only had about 12 slabs in stock and of those only 2 I really liked and 1 was ok. Most of them were very thin.

Has anyone tried Creekstone Duroc?

I tried the ribs last year. They were terribly skinny. 3 or 4 racks had shinners. Bought an 8 pack, the last ones I ever will. Haven't tried the butts.

I stick with commodity and find a good source.

I switched to higher end pork after having some success in the two categories in 2014. I hit a wall towards the end of that summer after 3 comps and my scores took off again. The higher end pork flavor simply enhanced the product I was putting forth.

My point: if you ain't hitting because you do not understand how to cook comp pork switching products is not going to help.

have tried both compart and creekstone. Nothing was big enough to compete with in my mind. But we all know the sponsored teams are getting the good stuff.

If I could pick it, I might use it if I could find wanted size. I ordered some last year and wound up having to use it all for backyard picnic pleasure. Expensive meat for the neighbors and free loading buddies.

The last event for us in 2015 for the first time we used compart duroc butts and ribs and we took 1st in ribs and 2nd in pork. So, I guess I am going to cook more compart Duroc this year

I've only cooked Duroc pork twice, and they were a 1st and a 3rd place finish at Westmont. That being said, I have a fair amount of success using IBP from Sam's Club.

Back