Are direct heat cookers the next “big” thing?

A nice feature of the direct heat boxes versus drums is the firebox access doors for adding fuel and clean up as well as shelves. I know some drums have access doors but most of them don't seem to.

I will give a shout out for 1904 pits. My business purchased this one last year for cooking sausage patties for a breakfast fundraiser. It is fire brick lined on the lower section and really produces a long consistent burn. We went with them as they were nearby and we wanted to support a local small business.

Well, drums have been around for a while and a lot of people use them as direct fire cookers. I've had a PBC for around seven years and have cooked some great food on it.

Last year I bought a Hasty Bake Roughneck and it does basically the same thing except having the side door to add fuel if need be which I have never had to do because it has a huge fire basket. It also has a second level as well as a heat shield if you don't want direct heat. It's been a great smoker so far.

Well, drums have been around for a while and a lot of people use them as direct fire cookers. I've had a PBC for around seven years and have cooked some great food on it.

Last year I bought a Hasty Bake Roughneck and it does basically the same thing except having the side door to add fuel if need be which I have never had to do because it has a huge fire basket. It also has a second level as well as a heat shield if you don't want direct heat. It's been a great smoker so far.

What are you thoughts on the Roughneck so far? Do you find yourself using the deflector much?

I hadn’t thought about it but I think you’re right. I do seem to be seeing a lot more of the design around recently. Whether it will catch on here like some of the other’s of the past, not sure. I will say this is one that I personally will pass on.

Probably…. No, definitely…..

Hmmm, maybe should not spend a lot of time watching cooks here for a while

Back