THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sawdustguy

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
We took delivery on our Battlewagon Friday. It is a 2007 Haulmark Grizzly 8.5 x 14. The trailer is very nice and I plan to cook like Smokin Cracker and cook on the tailgate. The problem is with the tailgate down the trailer is 23' long. Alot of the contests in this area only offer 20 x 20 spaces. do you think this is really going to be a problem? I would be willing to pay for extra space. BTW.... I will have pictures of Spicey and the trailer soon.

Way to go Sawdustguy I know you will like it. I'am thinking about getting a bigger one my self. Good luck with it.

Guy,
I do not know about your area.
But, down here, dimensions are "about".
Normally, the goal is to not infringe on your neighbors real estate without discussion.
We "overlap" a lot sometimes.

In addition, most promoters are realizing that 20 X 20 just "don't get it" anymore! Most of the major teams could not get their tow vehicle into a strictly enforced site that small and would just not show up.

Should not be a problem--tight--but not a problem (I hope) :lol:

TIM

We have a 20x31.5 5th wheel. (we have alot of 20x30 spots) I have not had anyone give us trouble.... If you are up front - call the person coordinating, and ask what options are available for a trailer that is 23' - they will usually accomidate. I also write it on my entry form as a gentle reminder.....

Never had an issue with it or my old pop-up.

Andy,

I think that is the Key! Be honest and upfront with the organizer and he will acomodate you. I also think Tim is right in that they loosely determine dimensions. I think I am worrying over nothing.

doubt u will ever havew a problem.. I usually take up 20X20 plus room for a truck. :)

Man, I don't relish making this post, but I have to disagree with most of you. In my opinion, you should never assume being 3' too long is going to be okay. I like the idea presented here of informing the contest organizer well before hand and including that information on your entry form. However, most of the time that one organizer has so many irons in the fire, remembering one entrant is over length will slip the mind of all but the best contest organizers. Also, I feel like a contestant should never assume it's going to be okay to encroach on a fellow contestants space 3', let alone 6". It's not right, plain and simple. I can't tell you how many events we've cooked where we arrive and the team next to us "just needed a couple extra feet." Well, guess what, we fit in a 20' x 20', not an 18' x 20' and now that team has screwed up our site by being inconsiderate. And don't even get me started about the guys that line up the pits right on the line adjacent to other teams so at least a couple feet of that team's space is unusable.

Be considerate of others. Most teams are friendly and will give the space they need if they can. But when in doubt, buy the extra space.

Wow, that was kind of therapeutic. Thnx for letting me rant. I read all of the posts, and I know my response isn't exactly completely on point. However, as competition barbecue continues to grow, so does the need to squeeze more teams into the same areas. All contest organizers can do is cram us all together. . . . .

Rod

Ihave to agree with Rod on this. Now however if you are short space and talk it through with the people next to you then that is fine. Most comps that I have been to allow for paying for extra space.

Rod, I love your sig line.

Its really not a big deal. Even though I would love to leave the cooker on the tailgate, I can just as easily offload the cooker and leave the trailer tailgate up so I would be 17' instead of 23' if I had to. There is always plan "B". I try to never leave myself in a situation without an alternate plan.

I took the time and drew out our setup as a line drawing with dimensions. I send that with my entry. That way it shows the organizer what I am thinking.

just a thought.

Back