THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

backdraftbbq

Full Fledged Farker
It seems like most standard comp spaces seem to be 20' x 20' and you can get a larger one for an up charge. In looking at trailers I'm looking at one with a 22' overall length from the end of the tongue to the end of the trailer. My question is, are they going to make me bump up to the larger one, if so, should I drop the size of the trailer by 2'. Current prospective trailer is a 8.5' x 18' V nose (6' porch).

There's a very good chance that with the tongue, you're going to be over the 20' length anyway, and I want to say the v nose isn't calculated in the 18' length. If it were me, I'd get the size trailer that works with the space I need and not worry about the space sizes. Our trialer is 30' long tailgate to tongue and we've only had to pay one time for an oversize space.

If you are buying new, I would go with a 8' porch, 14 ft enclosed. The price difference is minimal for the extra space Some comps are super strict on space, others are very flexible. Don't sell yourself short to save $300.

The biggest trailer I can go with is 22' overall because of storage space at my house, so I planned out one with a 6' porch, 12' box and 2' V nose.

This has come up a few times in the past, and I would say it may be a tad regional, but it comes down to asking the organizer before you sign up how they feel. Down here, if you ask and it's only a matter of a few feet, it isn't usually a big deal (most spots are more than 20x20 anyway), but that is my experience in the SE.

Like Chad said, get the size trailer that you want/need and do not base it on the typical size spot of a comp site. You'll usually want more space than you actually got, so if you downsize for comp site averages, you'll probably be mad at yourself later.

On a side note, where are you getting your trailer from?

This has come up a few times in the past, and I would say it may be a tad regional, but it comes down to asking the organizer before you sign up how they feel. Down here, if you ask and it's only a matter of a few feet, it isn't usually a big deal (most spots are more than 20x20 anyway), but that is my experience in the SE.

Like Chad said, get the size trailer that you want/need and do not base it on the typical size spot of a comp site. You'll usually want more space than you actually got, so if you downsize for comp site averages, you'll probably be mad at yourself later.

On a side note, where are you getting your trailer from?

I was looking locally because the finance company requires me to be at the dealer to sign the papers.

Around here most sites (parking lots) are fairly tight. As someone who has had to shoehorn into spots a few times, don't be THAT guy and buy a spot you know your trailer won't fit in. Also, include the fact you may have to maneuver said trailer that is too big into your too small of spot. I always buy a 30ft spot because I have to drop the gate to unload smoker.

I buy a spot larger than what I need for parking purposes. Contests with deep sites are what I prefer, but when a site is wide and not deep it's a problem. I drive a 40' RV, and I can't parallel park it in a 40' wide x 20' deep spot. In those cases, I buy a 60' spot just to ensure I can get in there.

Yes, it costs more. Buying a smaller trailer than what you need, however, is going to be more costly in the long run. Buy what works for your equipment and process, and then pick contests and sites than can handle it. When I started competing most people had 10x10 EZ UPs and cargo trailers. Now more and more teams are showing up with big rigs, and 20'x40' sites are getting a lot easier to find. I very rarely have trouble finding a suitable site.

I would go with a bigger porch. I have a 6' one with two Humphries cookers and it is a tight fit. Wish I had gone bigger. I think that is one think that I keep finding out in this game...what ever you think you need, get the next bigger one, cookers, coolers, trailers etc

If you pay for 20', you get 20'. That screws over organizers by doing that. It's not cool to stick into someone's spot and I know some contests will not let you hang out into the walkway. If you want to hang with the big dogs, you gotta pay more for a spot....

If you pay for 20', you get 20'. That screws over organizers by doing that. It's not cool to stick into someone's spot and I know some contests will not let you hang out into the walkway. If you want to hang with the big dogs, you gotta pay more for a spot....

"walkway"? Around here all you have to worry about is the cow patties, hate when they have to be moved.:twitch:

I was looking locally because the finance company requires me to be at the dealer to sign the papers.

That makes sense. There are some great builders all around the country.

(2) 10'x10' EZ Ups.

We did the dual EZ Ups for 2 1/2 seasons. We bought our current trailer, 6x12, from another BBQ team for a steal of a deal, but it's already way too small. When we get our trailer (if we don't get a toyhauler), we are going as big as our budget can hold. I want a full bathroom with 4 bunks in the front, kitchen area, and large porch. Is it going to cost me more per contest to park? Yes. Will I be comfortable and happy with my purchase? Heck yes!

You will find you will want more space than you invested in, so go with the larger size now and don't regret it later.

I started looking at a 6x12 and quickly realized that I would outgrow it. Then I decided to opt for the vending option instead of a shower & bathroom. Unfortunately due to the limited storage space at my house, 22' is the max overall length. I've gone back and forth between a cargo trailer with ramp or a porch trailer. I like the porch option much better.

I started looking at a 6x12 and quickly realized that I would outgrow it. Then I decided to opt for the vending option instead of a shower & bathroom. Unfortunately due to the limited storage space at my house, 22' is the max overall length. I've gone back and forth between a cargo trailer with ramp or a porch trailer. I like the porch option much better.

Porch is better to cook on.

Cargo is better to resell.

If the comps you participate in are in parking lots, you will be lucky if you actually get the promised 20 feet. If teams are set up in a field, space might be more flexible. Talk to the organizer to be sure before booking.

Back