UDS with a tan lining...

I know the original post is old, but if new reads it.. Just burn the hell out of it and the use a grinder with a wire wheel. It sucks, but if you don't have the option or money of having it sandblasted, it's a good way to get it down to bare metal. Just remember to use eye protection and a dust mask when using the grinder, don't ask me how I know. Once I was at bare metal I washed with soap and water, dried, coated with a light coat of cooking oil, built a fire, let it burn at 300 for a couple of hours and then cooked a pork butt on it. In two years, I've only had to re-season it one time and it'll hold that shiny black finish like a cast iron skillet on the inside.

Exactly Ron. We trust pits built in china and all sorts of cookware with who knows what for coating. Whre is an Organic Chemist when you need one? :-D

Paul

--I'm right here...didn't see this post until just now :wink:

i havent seen the post that you are referencing, but i do know that compounds can off gas some nasty crap long before any physical changes are noticable. i keep thinking back to that thread about the guy that damn near died from a little wisp of smoke from burnt brake cleaner. :confused:

--that's right...and probably the biggest concern. the other thing is that sometimes the really nasty stuff has no odor, and/or you wouldn't smell it over the sweet smell of your que

I'm not an expert at drum liners, but man can I Google. :laugh:
A little Googling suggests that many drum liners are phenolic epoxy. On the Dow web page for epoxy products, it says:
DECOMPOSITION PRODUCTS
Caution must be exercised in predicting the by-products of thermal decomposition. The products generated, and their concentrations, depend on whether pyrolysis or combustion or a combination of the two occurs, and at what temperature, and under what atmospheric conditions, either occurred. The by-products expected in incomplete pyrolysis or combustion of epoxy resins are mainly phenolics, carbon monoxide, and water. The D.E.R. 500 resin series also generates brominated compounds, such as hydrogen bromide. Thus, the thermal decomposition products of epoxy resins should be treated as potentially hazardous substances, and appropriate precautions should be taken, including the wearing of full protective clothing.

So, I would definitely make sure that any drum liner was gone, gone, gone, unless you've done a complete analysis of what kind of epoxy it is and you know exactly what temperatures will make it start to decompose. I would also only burn it out if I knew that the area was very well ventilated. And I'd wear a respirator to wire-brush the coating.

--I agree with this too...and as far as figuring out exactly what the liner is made of, I wouldn't count on it. We actually just dealt with this at work when we were trying to decide if it was ok to store some of our stuff in some drums...long story short, we couldn't get out of the manufacturer what the lining or rust inhibitor coatings on there drums were actually made of :mmph:

so...I would be in the don't cook on it with that liner school of thought. and also in the wear a respirator (or at least a good dust mask) if you're wire brushing anything. You probably don't want any metal shavings or any other particles in your lungs--the technical term for that is "bad." trust me, I know what I'm talking about...I'm a scientist :roll:

First thing I would do is try to contact the builder and point them the brethren uds thread. Since they obviously don't have time to read the whole thing, I'd try to nicely explain the whole liner story.

If none of that worked, I'd start getting technical on their asses.

The last and final step would be to point them at the numerous pit barrel topics that discuss new drums as opposed old rusty drums. But please don't give away any pit barrel secrets in the process since it might make someone mad.

Ummm... This thread is two and a half years old, so if all of this is directed at me, thanks, but I'm way past it. :-D

Maybe someone new can learn from it.

Back