Uds first smoke

tmehlhorn

Full Fledged Farker
Finished my uds project.
The first burn I did in it didn't go so well. Used pam with olive oil on inside of drum, charcoal and cherry wood. Threw on some wings and bacon. It didn't run hot enough, for me anyways. The smoke smelled terrible ( maybe I didn't get the drum cleaned as well as I thought, maybe the pan was a mistake, not sure? I let it burn out and tossed the wings.

Today attempt 2. I put in a while bag of kings, lit a full ever chimney if of coals and a little cherry wood. Came up to 275 and has remained there for 4 hours the smoke smells good today and I got tbs. Threw on a couple spatchcock chickens. Will post the build later.

Attachments

• 20180208_184625.jpg
    20180208_184625.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 176
Congrats on building a UDS. you are going to love how easy it is to cook on and be cooking a lot.

If you have any questions let us know.

I would always go higher than 275 on a seasoning run. Run it up full blast for a while & then shut it down. But whatever works for you...it's your ballgame.

Question. Has anyone else had draft issues do to intake pipes being to long? In the pic you see the height. What you don't see is one other is that height but the third is shorter. It is behind the lid, the lid bangs so I replaced with shorter pipe.

I can't imagine the length of the pipe causing a problem, lots of folks use them. Diameter and location of the holes is usually where the trouble starts. A steady 275F sounds good to me. Probably drafting just fine.

I've got 3/4" vents and to get 275 takes about one and 3/4 vents open(only one has a valve). How did you have yours set?

I'll say if 275F is your close to your max, you may have drafting issues. Other than that, it shouldn't matter except for aesthetics.

Question. Has anyone else had draft issues do to intake pipes being to long? In the pic you see the height. What you don't see is one other is that height but the third is shorter. It is behind the lid, the lid bangs so I replaced with shorter pipe.

Anytime you add height to your intake/intakes. The added pipe/tube decreases the amount of possible air/draft. It is a restriction.
Example. One 16" tall of 1 1/2" pipe decreases the possible intake air. Max temp is typically 275-300* with the pipe installed.
Without that stand pipe. 425* is possible.

This was another experiment.

Also your exhaust needs to be properly sized IMHO.
Easy test is just remove your stand pipes and watch the difference.

Last edited:
I could feel a bit of air coming back out of the longer pipes. Lsomy charcoal burns down on the did with the shorter pipe faster. Think I will just shorten the other 2 and see what happens.

The biggest issue with the long intakes is when they get close to, or above the lid. In the past I have heard some guys say they would have smoke coming out of the intakes because the lid was sucking air & the "intakes" turned into exhausts. You may want to lower those intakes a few inches.

You got good smelling smoke with Kingsford? :p

Remove those long pipes and you'll be in business. Hard to tell what you have for exhaust from the picture. But, from my experience, more is better. Let that thing breathe.

Back