THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have one made from #9 gauge and one from the thinner stuff from Home Depot. I have used the thinner one for over 2 years and it is just as good now as when I made it. Just don't let it sit out and rust and it will last a long time. The thicker one was just too heavy to lift with 12 or 14 pounds of briquets in it. It is sitting in my Garage collecting dust.

Blessings,
Omar

Update:

Well, everything is good to go! I made my charcoal basket out of expanded metal I found in Lowes (2 sheets of 1' x 2' bolted together), and a 13" dia. grill for the bottom.
I seasoned the UDS for about 3 hours and calibrated my thermometer. My only criticism is that there are little leaks at the lid. Other than that, it works fine. Nothing a few toggle latches can't fix! Also, I was very impressed with the way it self-extinguishes......just cap off the openings and close the valves and it's OUT relatively quick.

Now I think it's time to start smokin'!!!! I decided my 1st UDS smoke will be a fattie!....and this weekend will be smokin' a few racks of ribs! I will be sure to post pics!

I made one using a Weber 15" grate, and wrapped 12" high 'Expanded Metal' around it. A buddy spot welded it for me.

My experience is the basket doesn't have to be a high dollar item, just something to hold your Charcoal...

I used two 3" bolts and an old Pizza Pan under the basket as an ash catcher.
The stand off also means the basket will burn better, by getting Oxygen below the charcoal.

Note: Larger baskets worked better for me than smaller baskets.

Back