UDS Basket Pictures

Thanks man. I was going to ask you about the height but I guess it doesn't really matter. What did you use for the ash catcher? Is it something pre-made or did you have to fab something up?

I don't understand the maze concept.
What is the advantage?
Well, if you put a rat at one end and some food at the other the rat will eventually find the food. If you keep doing that repeatedly the rat will learn where the food is. When it remembers – your brisket won't take as long...

Barbarian,
Thanks for your input. I am going to try to finish my second basket tonight. First basket was weber 22.5 coal rack with expanded metal sides.
No ash pan. What a mess to cleanout.
I will post pics when done.

Here's my first attempt. Weber 14" charcoal grate, 12" tall expando with the top of a 30 gal. barrel for an ash catcher. Aluminum handle. 3 1/2" carriage bolts through the ash catcher for feet. The whole thing goes in and out with no problem. This holds plenty of fuel. Got a test burn of over 36 hours. Next one will be 8" tall.

PICT0030.jpg

Here is my Basket. That basket was given to me by a metal supply company. Not sure what it's function was. I added the legs and ash pan.
CIMG7521.jpg

IMG

Great basket Dave. That should work well.
I'm not certain about this, but I seem to remember this
type of basket being used by morticians.
Of course, I could be wrong.

Weiser

I probably grill more often than smoke, so I added legs on my basket which engage the U-bolts I use to support my grates. The fire basket hangs on the lower set of U-bolts; the food goes on the top grate. The little studs keep the legs from slipping off the U-bolts. It also comes in handy when you want to do a reverse sear: Take the meat of and foil. Raise the basket up to the grill position, and let the fire run wild. Sear the meat.

IMGP4836.jpg

Back