Turn in Boxes

I judge once in a while and cook FBA a few times. Rub has given you great advice, he just needs to show you some pics of his boxes:wink: Congrats on your first cook ...stan

I'm glad you came out and cooked with us buckinbbq, and I think it's always better to err on the side of too much meat rather than too little. This is all just my opinion as I've never judged, but here's my take on your boxes: Brisket - showcase your slices more while filling the box, but don't pack it. Yours looks packed, and some looks like it's with the grain, which is not good. Pork - not too bad, you've included some bark which is good. The middle pulled stuff looks a little flat and mushy like pork salad. See if you can give it more texture/more of a pulled look. Ribs - put in only ribs, and only your best and prettiest ribs. I usually put mine (spares) bone side down and arrange in rows. Give them a nice shiny glaze before turn in.

Like you said, you need to figure out what the judges want. Some guys don't grasp that concept and bang their heads for years. Good luck and keep working at it! :-D
I really appreciate the honesty here. I only enter one a year but may enter more soon. The pulled pork my son was helping me get it ready and by the time I noticed it was too late. I do agree that it was chopped way to much and I myself like a more pulled look. I also agree with striped pig. How about sharing some pics of your turn in boxes. What type of sauces do the judges like at the FBA deals? My wife and I have been bating that around the last couple of days. I like a vinegar, mustard based and she likes a sweet ketchup type based. I have been using what I like but it does not seem to impress the judges. Anyway thanks for all the input and honesty.

I don't have any pics of my boxes, that's brought me bad luck in the past. :mad: I deleted them.

And in this case, going with your wife's idea will raise your scores noticeably :mrgreen:

I thought I would add my scores here as well
Ribs: Presentation 8.0; 9.0; 9.5; 8.0;8.0;10
Tenderness:8.5;9.0;10;8.0;8.5;9.5
Taste: 9.0;8.0;9.5;7.5;8.0;9.5 (I do not put much sauce at all on ribs)
Pulled Pork: 8.5;9.0;9.0;9.5;7.5;9.5
Tenderness: 9.5;8.0;9.5;8.5;7.5;8.5
Taste: 9.0;8.0;9.5;8.5;7.5;8.5
Brisket:
Presentation:9.5;10.0;9.5;10.0;8.5;9.5
Tenderness: 9.0;9.5;8.5;8.5;8.5;8.5
Taste: 8.5;9.0;8.5;7.5;7.5;8.5
I am guessing on taste I have to find the sauce they like and maybe even sauce my brisket.

Back