Turkey Day 2012 Menus & Recipes...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Here's our lineup...pics and recipes to follow...:razz:

~Turkey Day Menu~

Cider brined & applewood smoked turkey...
Sausasge & herb dressing...(Ina Garten)
Cranberry-orange sauce...
Green bean casserole (yes...THAT one...lol!)
Candied yams...
Buttered whole kernel corn...
Garlic mashed potatoes...(Ina Garten)
Dinner rolls...
Pecan & pumpkin pies...
Peanut butter & chocolate-cranberry walnut fudges...
Assorted libations... ;0)

Dinner is at 6...don't be late...:cool:

Sausage and Herb Stuffing Ingredients

16 cups 1-inch bread cubes, white or sourdough (1 1/2 pound loaf)
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 2 cups medium-diced yellow onion (2 onions)
  • 1 cup medium-diced celery (2 stalks)
  • 2 Granny Smith apples, unpeeled, cored and large-diced
  • 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3/4 pound sweet or spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
Directions

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Place the bread cubes in a single layer on a sheet pan and bake for 7 minutes. Raise the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Remove the bread cubes to a very large bowl.

Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, melt the butter and add the onions, celery, apples, parsley, salt and pepper. Saute over medium heat for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are softened. Add to the bread cubes.

In the same saute pan, cook the sausage over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until browned and cooked through, breaking up the sausage with a fork while cooking. Add to the bread cubes and vegetables.

Add the chicken stock and cranberries to the mixture, mix well, and pour into a 9 by 12-inch baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes, until browned on top and hot in the middle. Serve warm.

Garlic Mashed Potatoes
In a small saucepan, bring the garlic and oil to a boil, then turn the heat to low and cook uncovered for 5 minutes, or until the garlic is lightly browned. Turn off the heat and set aside. The garlic will continue to cook in the oil.

Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a large pot of salted water, bring to a boil, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until the potatoes are very tender. With a slotted spoon, remove the potatoes from the water, reserving the cooking water, and remove the garlic from the oil, reserving the oil.

Process the potatoes and garlic through a food mill fitted with the medium disk. Add the reserved olive oil, 2 teaspoons of salt, the pepper, cream, and 3/4 cup of the cooking water to the potatoes and mix with a wooden spoon. Add more cooking water, if necessary, until the potatoes are creamy but still firm. Season, to taste,and serve hot.

The bird is out of the brine and air-drying in the fridge...

702355_525964047415151_319042591_n.jpg

702733_526243247387231_284984142_n.jpg

Sounds great JD Did not brine this year Did make an herb butter and place it under and on top of tjhe skin Put it on at 2:30 after icing down the boobies :mrgreen: Having mashed taters, brown corn and stuffing- just the wife and I. What is in the cider brine

Here ya go George...:razz:

Apple Cider Turkey Brine

Ingredients:
  • 2 gallons water
  • 3 cups apple cider
  • 3 oranges
  • 2 cups salt (or 3 1/2-cup Kosher salt)
  • 2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 4 tablespoons fresh rosemary (2 tablespoons dried rosemary)
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 tablespoons peppercorns
  • 5 whole bay leaves
Preparation:

Heat apple cider in a two gallon pot. Dissolve sugar in cider. Cut oranges into quarters and add to pot. Add remaining ingredients except for the water and stir to combine. Cover and set aside for 20 minutes. Pour the 2 gallons of cold water into the container to be used for brining. Add apple cider mixture and stir well to combine. Add turkey, turning to remove any air bubbles. Refrigerate and brine for 1 hour per pound of turkey.Thoroughly rinse all the brine from the turkey before cooking. Otherwise there will be a salty flavor to the turkey.

JD all that food and the recipes sounds great. If I held the pedal to the metal I could make it in time for dinner after cooking ours, the only problem is explaining to the family why Im leaving on T-day. Besides if I ate all your food my moobs would be draging on the steering wheel on the way home.

Have a great T-day.

Looks Great What kind of a Grill is that and what is your rub

MAK 1 Star General pellet smoker/grill. The rub is my wife's favorite for roast turkey and chicken...Herbs de Provence, kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a few other things...lol! Finished product...very moist and tasty! :cool:

702292_526393870705502_324751609_n.jpg

Back