Our first Thanksgiving and turkey two ways

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
This was our first year to host thanksgiving. For the last 15 years it was hosted at my mothers for my side and at beckys aunts on her side. This was a great opportunity to bring both of our family together as one.

The day was perfect outdoor cooking. I did one bird, as usual, in The Big Easy and since i was cooking at home this year and had extra guests i did one on my 007 wood fired drum.

Both birds were dry brined the day before with a custom blend of salt, pepper, rosemary, sage, tyme and the zest of a lemon and orange. They were also injected with creole butter. Before putting the birds on their respective cookers i patted dry, put a light slather of mayo and a touch of old bay seasoning.

The big easy did its job as expected. She never fails. Beautiful bird with no hassle

The smoked bird was lagging behind. I foil wrapped and put the 007 into inferno mode. In the end they were both done on schedule. That's why its good to have all the tricks in your bag if needed.

The smoked bird was great. It did get a bit dark but had the extra flavor from being smoke that takes it over rhe top

The big easy produce an amazingly presentable bird with flovor and juiciness.

Becky did majority of the sides work. Mashed taters, candied yams, cranberry sauce, stuffing, grean bean casserole, i did the mack and cheese. We also had several pies and cookies. Forgot to make the corn and my homemade dinner rolls :doh: no one noticed much but i was disappointed about the bread. Guess we need a cook plan next time all the sides were made as close from scratch as we could manage. I mean i didn't make the pasta noodles or bread for stuffing but you have to stop somewhere.

Unexpected dinner guest

Both turkeys came out excellent. The family leaned towards the pretty bird that came off tbe. It was more familiar to most of them and im always hyping up how they come out. I think i skewed a few decisions. Becky said the smoked bird was better with the extra flavor and those that tried it went back for more and really raved about it. I think i made a few converts so the contest was closer than it would appear

Happy Thanksgiving

Really cool that you got to host it this year Steve!

Nice job on the cook to both Becky and you. :)

Back