Trying to create the perfect steak!

Reverse searing is overrated.
Bake and brown, as it was originally called until some poncy pretender renamed it and claimed to be the originator...is a great technique if you are doing large numbers in a restaurant situation.
I see no point domestically for steaks, none at wll, muself.
Unless you want to take the skill out of it and use a thremometer while it bakes!:tongue::becky:

:bolt:
:laugh:

The last ribeyes I did were smoked for an hour at 200 F and then I seared them a couple of minutes per side on a hot grate. They turned out really great!

I guess that is a good point, if you want to really replace gorgeous steak flavour with smoke then this is the technique to use.
Fair enuff

I didn't notice that much difference in the taste of Sear VS Reverse sear.

I'm back to sear. We like ours Rare, and it's quicker and easier to get the same results by sear. (To us)...

Lots of good tips in this thread. It was making my mouth water so I put some of them to good use. Choice Costco New York strips, out on the counter for an hour with ground salt and pepper only. full chimney of Kblue in the chargriller, dump it in with the basket on the 2nd notch from the top. Let it heat the cast iron grates for 15 mins.

Install steaks. 90 seconds and turn 90 degrees, 3 minutes on each side, off to the side for another 2 minutes or so.

Came out very nice... mid rare ... I will try the charcoal basket all the way up next time. The char crust tastes great!

I generally uses sea or Lawry's salt, fresh ground pepper and sometimes rub the steak with a garlic clove before seasoning. Bring the steak to room temperature and cook to medium rare. I have several favorite methods for achieving this depending on my mood. The easiest is on my Weber Baby Q gasser. It has wide cast iron grates for great grill marks. I usually turn the steak a quarter turn after a couple minutes and add a pat of butter after the steak is done.

The second way I like is to Cajun them. Coat the steak with melted butter and pack on a blackening seasoning. I cook them outside on a very hot cast iron skillet on my Coleman gas camp stove. I tried it in the house once and smoked the wife and I right out, it was like pepper spray. I won't do that again.

The third way is to fill a weber chimney about two thirds full and light it and let it cook down to coals, NO flame, then set a grate on it and then cook the steak a couple minutes on both side till it looks perfect. This is a really hot fire and produces a tremendous crust. A thin steak may be done. A thicker one I sometimes get my crust then dump the remaining coals in the grill and finish them indirect.

Back