Tried My Hand at a Keg Smoker

bvbull200

Take a breath!
This has been a couple of months in the making due to it just being a side project, but I finally finished my keg smoker. After seeing all of the mini-WSMs, I knew I wanted a small smoker myself. After seeing some of the keg smokers, I decided to go that route rather than the WSJ + tamale pot. There is another member on here that recently finished one like this and I'd like to give him credit, too, but I can't remember who it is. Hopefully you're reading this, Mr. Gave-Me-The-Idea, and post up so I can give you some props!

Anyways, here are the pictures:

Among other junk (and a shameless plug of my BBQ team), you'll see an empty keg:
20140913_133150_zps0pz5vopp.jpg

I cut the upper ring off, leaving just the handles. It also happens to be just the right size for a Weber Smokey Joe lid:
20140920_161848_zpsmswahooe.jpg

Cut a large hole in the top as well and mounted bolts to hold the grates. This is setup to have two 14.5" cooking grates:
20140921_165041_zpsmgmo8rw0.jpg

Drilled out the existing exhaust holes and fit pipe nipples with caps:
20140921_165123_zpse9bncsjr.jpg

Three 3/4" pipe nipples for intake. Two with caps and one with a ball valve:
20140928_151847_zpscyab1lbv.jpg

Then I had it powdercoated to go with the theme of my favorite team:
20141104_185437_zpszoyawhla.jpg

And completed. It is adorned with license plates I used to have on the Mazda, so it should be 1 of 1 (my Ugly Drum Smoker is behind it for reference):
IMG_0640_zps5c7627cf.jpg

Firebasket is made from a coal grate and some expanded metal. We'll see how long it runs:
IMG_0625_zps8e9adf1e.jpg

A terracotta pot base serves as the diffuser:
IMG_0628_zps1858ad11.jpg

Here is the ball-valve, one of the other intakes, and a little hint as to the past life of this shell:
IMG_0636_zps7a232098.jpg

Thermos read temps right at the grate level for each cooking surface:
IMG_0639_zps2b8d3637.jpg

Custom handles (BIG shoutout to Marty Leach and his site, amlwoodart.com for the really, REALLY nice handles):
IMG_0637_zps4ff8e09c.jpg

IMG_0638_zps00c1d14c.jpg

Pippa photobombed me:
IMG_0634_zpse29fb5f0.jpg

Thermos have looked like this for the past hour:
20141109_135928_zps5jcqctjr.jpg

I have verified those temps with an oven thermometer, so everything seems to be running smooth. It is about 15 degrees difference between the upper and lower grates which, if that is how it is, I won't even both trying to adjust. That is pretty awesome.

Finishing up the seasoning coat, then I'll try to ramp up the temps and throw on a little flank steak or something. Cooking surface looks like it will handle a couple small shoulders (one per shelf), or a few fatties, short ribs, chuck roasts, or other smallish cuts. I could do a rack of ribs per grate, I think, if I cut them in half first. It'll be a great moink-baller, too!

Thanks for looking and Go Mavs!
A4l3j_zpsvciivgfm.gif

love the keg smoker. I have been using a 50 gallon food grade drum for a few years. Its easy to toss in truck, maintain temps and cook good Q.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 251
Very nice looking build. Good looking dog too!

But I gotta ask why you took the Weber vent off and went with the close nipples. Is there an advantage? Seems to me like it would be more work to shut everything down.

Very nice looking build. Good looking dog too!

But I gotta ask why you took the Weber vent off and went with the close nipples. Is there an advantage? Seems to me like it would be more work to shut everything down.

The exhaust was changed purely for aesthetic reasons. The stock exhaust would have worked, but couldn't have easily been powder coated and would look a little too "normal" for what I was shooting for.

You are correct in that it is more work, but only when starting and ending a cook, so just twice per cook. Like on my UDS, the exhaust gets opened, then never tinkered with. All work is done with the intake.

Normally I'm a function > form guy, but on this one, I was willing to take a little extra care on the form.

Thanks for the compliments. Pippa says thank you, too. :wink:

Wowee! I'm impressed! I finished a keg smoker a couple months back. Not to be presumptuous, I don't know if my ugly keg smoker what you were referring to. Whether or not it was, it puts mine to shame as far as beauty goes. I went with the separate firebox so I could have the extra rack room. Color me jealous though, that's some great work!

Here's a pic of mine

Attachments

• IMG_20140922_185505.jpg
    IMG_20140922_185505.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 126
Wowee! I'm impressed! I finished a keg smoker a couple months back. Not to be presumptuous, I don't know if my ugly keg smoker what you were referring to. Whether or not it was, it puts mine to shame as far as beauty goes. I went with the separate firebox so I could have the extra rack room. Color me jealous though, that's some great work!

Here's a pic of mine

Yours isn't the one that initially sparked my idea, but I followed your build closely. I think you did a better job getting more function out of your keg with the separate firebox. Pretty sweet build. I like the use of the stem. I wasn't creative enough to come up with a use for mine.

The one I'm thinking of is a guy that made his keg in the same style as mine (or more accurately, I styled mine after his).

Thanks for the compliments!

bvbull- Nice build! How hard was the keg to cut? Any tips? Oh and BTW, fark you for making me build another smoker!:-D

I'm just paying it forward. It was some other bastard on here that forced my hand in to making this one. :tongue: I don't think spending time in a room full of addicts is the best way to get over your addiction. :biggrin1:

Do you own an angle grinder, some cutting and grinding discs, a flap disc, and a jigsaw with a metal blade? If so, you're all set. If not, time to go to Lowe's!

Cutting the ring that had the handles in it was probably the easiest part. Just a cutting disc and a grinding disc with the angle grinder was all it took. Flap disc to smooth the edges. I taped off the vertical lines that I wanted to cut down near the handles to provide a guide.

Cutting the "lid" off was more difficult, but doable with a little time and patience. The jigsaw got it started, then it was a matter of cutting little sections out with the angle grinder until I had an imperfect circle that was just a little smaller than needed. From there, I took a grinding disc and worked the opening until I had a nice, even circle. Again, hitting it with the flap disc to smooth it all out.

Once you get building, if you have any questions or want to bounce some ideas, let me know! I'd be glad to share what worked for me and what pain points I had.

Back