THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a L'il Tex at our lake home but when I decided I wanted a pellet grill at home I bought a Camp Chef DLX. It is essentially equivalent to the Traeger in construction, design, etc. but has a few small features that are better:

1) There is a very clever fire pot ash dump that does not require taking the grill apart to remove the ashes.

2) The lid has a "humpback" design so provides a little more volume for big things like a turkey.

3) It has a nice pellet dump for changing pellets though I have found that I seldom use this.

The optional front shelf for the CC is a wire-frame contraption that looks like it was designed in a junior-high shop class. The optional Traeger shelf is a good design and a solid piece of work.

Cooking between the two is the same.

IIRC the CC was a hundred $ or so cheaper but that was not the main reason I bought it.

Had a camp chef dlx till it died (including lots of parts they kindly sent me for free), have also moved on from smokin-it electric (smokin tex like thing), camp chef smoke vault gassers, and wsm. Burn sticks and charcoal whenever I have time on the LSG, but regularly (like 5 nights a week year round) cook on either the gas grill or Traeger timberline... I have kids and chaotic revolving schedule etc and use the heck out of my pellet - reliable, easy, consistent. Really happy with it. Have cooked on other Traegers, and a Yoder. If you like yummy easy can use all the time pellet grills are tough to beat. If you also want it to direct grill - the setup on the Yoders and (and fire craft q450 thought they seem to be out of stock) is a better in my mind. Lots of folks love their RecTecs, smoke daddy/pellet pros and many others in that price range - Yoder and blazngrillworks (has firepot clean out all system as does camp chef) are a bit more expensive than those, then you jump up to fancier finer pellet coolers in Mak, Memphis, etc. if I went back in time I’d have probably gotten a Yoder rather then the traeger timberline, but still very happy with it. I will never be without a pellet grill. Hard to beat throwing on big cuts night before and sleeping soundly... and getting reliable goodness once you’ve figured out your process.

I have a traeger lil tex elite, love it, Ive had it for around 5 years and knock on wood I have only replaced the hot rod so far. Its not the only player out there any more but what I can say is they are reliable and will cook up some good q. My personal favorite feature is going back to sleep if I want to :)

I own a jr and although I like it I will never buy another Traeger. Too many issues. I like the pellet game and plan to upgrade in the future

Back