Tongue

Really?!!? Care to share? Never had it this way, but I can see how a pickling mix would definitely help break it all down vs. boiling, plus adding way more flavor.

Cool idea.

I did a dry cure with TQ on beef heart and tongue with a rub of choice for 48 hours. Pick your pastrami seasonings of choice and give it enough time for the cure to penetrate. You can see the heart needed a little more time to cure. Sorry I don't have a pic of the cured tongue as the one in the pic is smoked not cured. as is the heart in the upper right corner.:wink:

DSCF1660.jpg

DSCF1662.jpg

I do all my pastrami to 150-155 internal and then steam in the pressure cooker to tenderize. The skin on the tongue was not even close to ready to come off until it was steamed to finish. Slice thin and enjoy

Great texture and makes a great sandwich.

Cheers

Hey Brewer, just out of curiosity, have you ever tasted tongue, or any other "specialty" meat?

How bout octopus, ever tried that?

Grilled octopus is fantastic.

I have never tried to smoke it though, hmmmm?

Have tried tongue sliced thin on a deli sandwich - it wasn't the taste necessarily that I didn't like, it was looking at that big ass tongue in the deli case on my way out that turned me off. Haven't eaten it since... :yuck:

Love Octopus. I've lightly smoked it before for salads and it's great.

Hey Capozzoli - you could have a specialty catering business for adventurous type folks - you have a clear marketing angle - obviously it wouldn't be for everybody but I'll bet there's some kind of market for that type of thing.

...I'm only saying this 'cause I want to see pron of some bride's mother screaming when dinner comes out at the reception...

But seriously, I'll bet there's some way to make some version of that work, like maybe as part of a larger catering package or something like that.

Are you a caterer? Just wondering. I am a small biz owner. Its tough. Ill bet catering biz is even tougher. Maybe I am wrong?

I was thinking about building a few big trailer offsets to rent. Make a little side dough.

How bout some frogs legs.

DSC04803.jpg

DSC04805.jpg

DSC04806.jpg

Wonder if they would be good smoked?

We do a huge BBQ every August 2nd (My daughters b-day party. Piles of people come and I do all kinds of crazy stuff. Its usually some theme, Argentina, Greek, Indian etc.

This year is Spanish Caribbean type fair.

We are fatten up the "pig" for that one now.

Pie002-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a caterer - I was a cook in a few restaurants and was on a catering/banquet crew at a bbq place but that was many, many moons ago. Cooking's just for fun and relaxation these days.

Great pron - thanks for posting!

Back