To those with stickburners: how often do you do a thorough cleaning of your pit?

Here's a question - perhaps a dumb one -- how do you steam your offset smoker?

Not a dumb question at all. Get the temp up to about 300F. Open the drain valve. Open the door to the cooking chamber and hit it with a quick spray from a garden hose being careful not to burn yourself.

I clean my fire box same day , clean the grease out that is in RF pan next day. Clean and scrape grates just before every cook . Fill RF pan with water and steam after about 5 or 6 cooks .

After each cook in my Yoder traditional offset smoker with the heat management plate, I clean it while it is still warm. That way, it is still easier, to remove food debris, and grease drippings. I scrape the two grills, and remove them. Then I scrape the heat management plate of the crust and and burnt stuff till it is clean and smooth again. Then I remove the heat management plate and do the other side. With the main grill empty, I take my scraper and scrape the entire interior of the main smoking area. I remove all debris and rub it clean with paper towels.

I, then, re-install everything inside the main unit. The next day, after everything has cooled down, I clean the firebox completely and remove all of the ashes and place them in a safe metal container.

Once in a while, I take my blow torch and hit specific areas that have a little build up until it is clean. In order to remove a grease stain, I use a product called Citra-Solve which ok for food and that takes care of things like that.

I have not tried the steam clean approach yet, but that sounds like it might be worth a try. The only concern that I have about that process is that I really did a good job on seasoning this smoker with a heavy coat of peanut oil and I do not want to remove that coat of protection. Since I did the entire smoker with sponged on peanut oil in and out, I have no rust or any deterioration. As a matter of fact, I was planning to do that again as soon as we have some temperatures in the 80's again.

Ed

Cook chamber (wire brush the grates and scrape the grease off the reverse flow plate) after each cook while it's still warm. Sometimes I steam clean the cook chamber before a cook while I'm building my fire. Firebox next day.

After each cook:

I clean the firebox thoroughly.
I soak and brush the grates.
I scrape and wipe down the RF pan. Sometimes I spray it with vegetable oil.

About 3 times a year:

I scrape the creosote off of the inside smoker walls, and then blow the dust out with a leaf-blower.

I have gotten lazy about steam-cleaning - but I think I will start doing it again - at least occasionally.

ALWAYS empty the firebox as soon as its cool.. Dont leave ash, it contains lye and will eat at the metal. Shelves get wired off while still warm and the bottom gets drained and rinsed the follwing day... again prior to each cook when I heat it up with the weedburner and wirebrush the shelves again and spray with pam.

steamclean once in the spring if its really bad.

Back