THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This totally BITES! And to think that you had to drive all the way from New York to Missouri so that your truck could get vandelized.

That sucks!

Ramona and I learned the hard way it doesn't take long to bust into a car/van/truck. She was at a drug store for 3 minutes (based on the times on the security tape) and they managed to clean her out of her computers, purse, and a few other things... This was at 9:00 on a Saturday morning!

Contact your home-owners insurance and make sure that nothing else was taken. I'm not saying to fudge what's gone, just be sure you've listed it all. We found a number of things missing that she had forgotten about because they were rarely used.

On a brighter note, it was GREAT seeing you and Scott on Friday! Sorry I couldn't make it back on Saturday.

I have Lojack on my laptop. It has location tracking and data denial systems via remote access. Costs a few bucks per year.
When you keep hearong these stories, makes the cost seem better. Sorry to hear yours.

The Comp I was at two weeks ago had an entire MO National Guard unit as security and a BUNCH of County Police all over the place. That was only for 91 teams. Hard to believe that The Royal couldn't come up with something similar...

I don't think I would ever attend the American Royal from what I have heard about the behavior of the public at this event. I heard that Scotty had a brisket stolen from his cooker and a few other unpleasant incidents. Why go if you have to worry about your vehicle and your site. It doesn't make the event much fun.

I've heard a lot of disturbing things about this event over the years. If I have the opportunity I'd go I'll be on guard but I'd go.

Phil,
sorry to hear about that and you weren't even over by us on the "Dark Side", was your truck parked in one of the off site lots?

Scott

We have "solutions" for folks like that around here... Hunting "accidents" happen all the time!

"Hmm Officer, I dunno why he had those antlers strapped to his head... must be some kinda nut!"

I don't think I would ever attend the American Royal from what I have heard about the behavior of the public at this event. I heard that Scotty had a brisket stolen from his cooker and a few other unpleasant incidents. Why go if you have to worry about your vehicle and your site. It doesn't make the event much fun.

I felt the same way after hearing about Scottie's problems and others. Now that we've been there, I would think about going back, but probably not on the Dark Side. It was a zoo over there on Friday night and all of that activity would probably throw me off my game (not that i have game :-D). Where we were set up in lot B was calmer. I would also like to see improvements in security for the off site lots, of course. We would also need more people to help us besides Parsley Lady and me. i think four is a bare minimum since I would want someone to watch the site all night just in case.

Mine happened back when they used to put Friday night parties right in the middle of teams that were competing in the Invitational. So I was in Lot B (I think Todd has that spot now.) I hope if nothing else, they listened to my recommendation that they move those parties. We pay way too much money to have a party going on until 3:00 am.

And for the record, I'm not pissed about my brisket. I mean, I had 2... :roll: My gripe was with how it was handled when my 3 fire extinguishers were found in my behind neighbors spot. Police were not allowed to be called. Barney Fife was going to take care of it all. Barney is no longer with the AR. *** Names have been changed, as I sure wouldn't want to insult the real Barney Fife...

Also, I would go back in a minute to the contest... only if I was in Lot B though... Surrounded by all Invitational teams!!! and I had a 6 foot fence with barber wire. Or all I would need is Jorge with his gun collection.... :twisted::twisted: Need I say more....

I was on the dark side this year, and it was rowdy and almost everything that you have heard about, however we had a very big party right across the road from us and they shut them down right at 12:30am. So that was not to bad.

I must say that I was not in the deepest darkest part of the dark side so that may explain the difference. It was not as bad as I thought it was going to be, and it was like a normal contest Saturday night.

Seems like a good deal for the AR. Invite people but make them pay. Make them park their cars far away. Encourage partying to disturb them. Break into vehicles and steal stuff from their sites.

WTF is going on here. KCBS needs to get their chit in order. That is ridiculous.

ya that's just wrong. Some doper took out my truck window in Ohio last year parked at a Bob Evans Parking lot. Wifey left her purse under some blankets and the doper found it WHAT A HASSLE trying to call all the CC co and the like. Really sorry to hear about yer truck getting tore up. Could of just took the stuff and left the rest alone. Those peeps are going to smoke a big phat turd in purgatory while the big man figures out what to do with them.

having been robbed twice...in one year...all I can say is that I feel your pain and echo you sentiments.

Seems like a good deal for the AR. Invite people but make them pay. Make them park their cars far away. Encourage partying to disturb them. Break into vehicles and steal stuff from their sites.

WTF is going on here. KCBS needs to get their chit in order. That is ridiculous.

KCBS handles the judging etc. The issues you raise are the responsibility of the Royal.

I think there are some reasonable steps the folks from the Royal can take, and having talked to Phil I'm sure his letter will adequately address those issues regarding Liberty Lot security.

I'll say this in defense of the folks that put the Royal on every year...considering the logistics they do a heck of a good job. On Friday night there was a crowd estimated at 35k on the grounds. There were 530+ registered teams and their guests. There were some HUGE parties, and I know of one site that floated 35+ kegs of beer. There have been, and there will continue to be unfortunate incidents every year. Yet I'll continue to go back every year that I'm able and the numbers this year indicate that the majority of people tend to agree with me. Talking with several cooks that have been going for years, this was the largest Invitational field that just about anybody I asked could remember. They must be doing something right.

My .02

I hope if nothing else, they listened to my recommendation that they move those parties. We pay way too much money to have a party going on until 3:00 am.

Nope. They didn't listen. We were in the middle of lot B and had 4 big parties with live bands surrounding us. Friday night was my night to go back to the hotel for a few hours so I don't know how long the parties went on.

It really isn't that bad. For the number of people that attend there are very few problems. I've been at much smaller events that have had more dangerous problems. You would also be surprised how quiet it gets after Friday night. You still have some teams that will have parties, but nothing like the night before.

This is the email I sent this morning:
Jolene, I have a problem I would like to have addressed. Could you please make sure the appropriate person get this. I am aware of at least 5 team cars that were vandalized this year while sitting in the liberty lot. You can not tell me that we don't pay you guys enough money that you can't pay some more security people to monitor this lot to protect us from these things. It is embarrassing that this has happened in our home town and in several cases it was done to people from out of state. I am sure we left a good impression on them! I blame the American royal as a whole because more could have been done to prevent this. I went to the liberty lot several times at night to get some things from the car and saw nobody out there except the one attendant who was on a laptop with headphones on. There were KCPD and event security all over the inside of the event, would it be to much to ask to have a few of them watch over our cars? I heard time and time again how this event could not take place without the teams. I would suggest you find out who these teams were and refund their entry fee and apologize for there inconvenience, that would show us you really care. Thank for your time and I hope you can learn from this for next year.

The answer form the Royal:
Shane - Unfortunately bad things happen that are out of our control. This is the 1st I have even heard of a vehicle being vandalized in Liberty Lot. The appropriate thing to do would to file a police report once they found out their vehicle had been vandalized. The American Royal is not responsible for and lost or damaged property, however we do learn things every year and we will work on improving them for next year.

I appreciate your feedback and we will make note of this for next year.

Thank you,

Jolene DeMoss
Barbecue & Special Events Coordinator

Back