To inject, or not inject.....that is the question

EricD

is Blowin Smoke!
Hello fellow Brethren,
Over Christmas I got the Cajun Injector Kit, with a bunch of different rubs and sauces in it. I have never injected meats before, and I'm really not sure if I've even eaten an injected meat. I'm going to give it a shot but wanted to hear your opinions on: 1) what do you guys think about injecting? 2) anything I should know before stabbing? It seems like a no brainer.
2) What are your opinions on the Cajun Injector Sauces?

I inject pork butts with a mixture of 2 parts apple juice, one part apple cider vinegar and a tablespoon of whatever rub I'm using on the butt.

I've never injected briskets.

I've brined turkeys before smoking but have only injected before deep frying them.

Injecting it a good way to get flavor or moisture into a big piece of meat. Is it necessary? No, but it can help. It's another tool that we have available to us. Try it out and see how you like it.

I only inject briskets, and with a simple solution of beef broth and a bit of MSG dissolved in it. Then no-wrap cooking til 200ish.

Pork butts? Not a chance, low n slow til 203, no crutch, wrap, etc.

Chicken? Thats a whole n'nother dimension. Injecting birds is just plain fun, but I don't have much experience.

It's all preference, try it and see if u like it. I inject my pork butts and picnics. A lot of people tell me "why inject ur pork butt? U know u don't need it right?" ur right I don't need it but I like to do it so I do. No right or wrong answer to it but since u have one might as well give it a shot and see what u think.

I've been injecting all kinds of stuff ever since a cajun buddy showed me how he injected & deep fried turkey in 1993......

Not everyone likes some of the results, because you will change the core flavor of the meat somewhat, but for a lot of less fatty type things (London broil, pork loin, tenderloins, some tri-tip, various beef roasts, clod, etc. ) it will add the needed moisture, sort of like "replacing" the fat that isn't ordinarily available & the finished piece just ends up better.......

Brisket point w/ phosphate "comp" inject:

3-6-2013Beef068.jpg

Tri-tip, w/ creole butter (I think?) tenderloin, w/ lemon pepper, in the front......

PostWestCoastMeet042.jpg

Turkey, w/ creole butter......

JuicysampTurkey11-11-2013067.jpg

The Cajun Injector stuff is real good, Tony Chachere's is good, & you can use just about anything, if you strain it out so it won't clog the needle....

SmokedChicken2-15-12025.jpg

SmokedChicken2-15-12024.jpg

I save all the bits that get strained out & dump them in guacamole or salsa......

I never used to inject, but recently have started.. I like Chris Lilly's pork injection and Butcher's products mostly. I love to inject turkey's with butter, chicken stock, spices and hot sauce.

Thanks all. I'm cooking this weekend. When I decide what to cook, I'll will inject. I'll let you all know how it goes. (I'm still trying to figure out how to post pics)

I own a Spitjack injector and always inject all of my yardbirds. I make my own brew rather than purchasing off the shelf. As a suggestion, I never poke the needle through the skin go under it. The skin will act as a wetsuit and hold the liquids in. The Spitjack longer needles will allow this as the little plastic freebies will not.
Good luck!

I used to brine, and had good results. Then I started injecting which made the task easier and less clean up. I used Chris Lilly's Injection but found it to be salty to my tastes, I cut back to almost half the amount of salt and it is still good. last year I switched to OakRidge Game Changer Brine as my Injection and have nothing less than great results with it.

I now, always use OakRidge Game Changer Brine as an injection. I Use fruit juice (Peach, Pear, Apple, or White Grape) for added flavors. For every 8 ounces of juice add 1 Tablespoon of OakRidge Game Changer Brine and then inject into the pork. I inject right through the cyro-packaging to save with cleanup, using different angles through the same hole to prevent leaking. I used to rub and let the pork sit overnight, but now I'll rub a few hours before smoking depending upon my time constraints.

When cooking injected pork butts I find the bone begins to wiggle at about 187°, I pull and rest the pork in a cambro/cooler for 3 to 4 hours, and pull the pork just before serving. I find the OakRidge Game Changer Brine keeps the pork exceptionally tender, moist, flavorful, and it pulls in very long strands which is great for sandwiches.

I think it's a regional thing. I used to know a girl from New England who like to have her Boston Butt rubbed, but nothing more.

Back