To Freeze or Not to Freeze

JayinBoston

Found some matches.
I haven't been around in a long time. Kids, life, work, you all know the usual excuses. I used to be a very frequent reader and infrequent poster. I've got question that I only trust the Brethren to answer.

I'm cooking a 6 lb strip loin roast on Christmas day. If you haven't cooked one before, they are delicious. Perfect happy medium between the too lean (and to me flavorless) tenderloin and the too fatty (too some, not me) rib roast. I use this recipe: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/slow-roast-beef modified to cook on my 26" Weber with a Slow n Sear. I usually use pecan chunks.

Because my in laws are coming for Christmas, my family started quarantining yesterday when school got out. So, I had to buy the roast yesterday. My butcher says it will only last in the fridge for 5 days and obviously there are 7 days between the 18th and Christmas. So my question is would you guys freeze it or leave it in the fridge. I really don't want to freeze it and I'm not sure how leaving in the fridge for 7 days is any different from dry aging really, but I wanted some other opinions. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to all!

I highly doubt it will only last 5 days in the fridge. Most primals will last at least a week so I'd just make sure it stays nice and cold until you're ready to cook.

You got it from your butcher, right? I'm assuming it's not vac sealed. You got a vac sealer? Yes? Vac seal it and roll with it in the fridge for a few weeks. I haven't made anybody sick.

Merry X-MAS

Back