To add a keep warm plate or not on 16" Horizon.

Jason.H.

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hello all, I'm going to order a 16" Horizon smoker directly from horizon and I'm wondering if its worth $40 to add a "keep warm plate" on top of the firebox? Seems like it could be useful..but I'm worried that the additional welding may warp the firebox lid..anyone have any experience? I'm for sure adding the convection plate. I was also going to add an extra thermometer but in the pics the thermometers are high up on the chamber and not near grate level. Anyone know any reasoning behind their method for mounting them so high? Thank you

I'm kind of wanting it because it's smaller. I feel like it will be more efficient and use less "fuel". I have been using a modified char griller outlaw for 6 years and I always cook for just me and my wife. The outlaw is huge for smoking 2 racks of st louse ribs or one 5lb pork picnic.

You’re not gonna see much difference in fuel between a 16” and 20”. It if it’s the right size for you get it but most people end cooking for friends and/or do pan of beans and other sides along with meat and 16” rooms out of room pretty fast. Most guys use the warmer plate to preheat their splits to ignite faster. Not totally necessary - I have vertical stick burners and have no wAy to preheat my splits and do just fine.

The thermometers have stems that go down to a few inches above the grate level, so they'll give you a decent enough reading of the temperature where your food sits.

16" smokers are so small and even with the heat management plates you're going to end up with a huge temperature gradient across that cooker. Probably less so if you're using charcoal, but if you're burning sticks it's going to be tough. I had a 16" cooker and it worked well enough, but if you're doing multiple cuts of meat be prepared to rotate things often enough.

$40 for the keep warm is a pretty decent deal. Horizon knows what they're doing so I wouldn't worry about them messing up your lid by adding the plate. It's not something you'll use every time you cook but if you're crafty you can figure out uses for it.

Horizon is a great fabricator and they make a killer product.

Back