Convection Plate Not Working - Help!

WeberWho

is one Smokin' Farker
I'm having nothing but issues trying to get my Brinkmann Cimarron to even out. I've tried big fires, small fires, offset fires, adjusted vents, moved the convection plate in all different locations and I can't get the heat to even out or under 300 degrees near the firebox. I'm going on 6 hours and having no luck whatsoever getting temps stable around 250-275 degrees. Especially near the firebox with this Horizon convection plate. Looking for some tips. I appreciate the help!

Have you tried cooking without the convection plate? It might be goofy- they designed that plate to correct issues with that smoker but...you haven't tried everything - until you've tried everything.

How does the pit draft? if it's not moving air, it's not moving heat.

I have a 20” Horizon with their convection plate. 50 degree differential from firebox to stack side at grate level is pretty common. It will even out at the lid thermometer more - I get around 5 degree difference on the lid.

Also, the convection plate has a lot of thermal mass and holds a good amount of heat. If it’s close to the grate, that thermal heat will increase the grate temps over it. It will cook from below like a reverse flow does. I cook without mine most of the time as I don’t want the radiant heat.

Small smokers with small fire boxes are a challenge to even out the temperatures on.

Also, when you mention having problems with stable temps - are you trying to hold 250-275 burning sticks? Usually you cook in a range that is wider than that on a stick burner (small ones at least).

I aim for 275. I throw a split or two on when it drops to around 250. It spikes up to around 300. Settles in in the general vicinity of 275 for bit, then starts to drop.

Have you tried cooking without the convection plate? It might be goofy- they designed that plate to correct issues with that smoker but...you haven't tried everything - until you've tried everything.

How does the pit draft? if it's not moving air, it's not moving heat.

Thanks. That's pretty much the last thing I haven't tried.

I have a 20” Horizon with their convection plate. 50 degree differential from firebox to stack side at grate level is pretty common. It will even out at the lid thermometer more - I get around 5 degree difference on the lid.

Also, the convection plate has a lot of thermal mass and holds a good amount of heat. If it’s close to the grate, that thermal heat will increase the grate temps over it. It will cook from below like a reverse flow does. I cook without mine most of the time as I don’t want the radiant heat.

Small smokers with small fire boxes are a challenge to even out the temperatures on.

Also, when you mention having problems with stable temps - are you trying to hold 250-275 burning sticks? Usually you cook in a range that is wider than that on a stick burner (small ones at least).

I aim for 275. I throw a split or two on when it drops to around 250. It spikes up to around 300. Settles in in the general vicinity of 275 for bit, then starts to drop.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm trying to run my 16" Brinkmann Cimarron with just splits and I'm not having any luck. I can get around 275 on the grills thermometer but it's pushing 300+ degrees at grate level. That's too hot to run constantly. That's with a small fire that really isn't realistic for an offset smoker. I'm just not sure it's possible to run a smoker this small on splits. I'm thinking it's more for lump and chunks of wood. Which I'm sure would be a great smoker but I was hoping to run it on splits alone. I'm just not seeing it in the 10 hours of so I've played around with it.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm trying to run my 16" Brinkmann Cimarron with just splits and I'm not having any luck. I can get around 275 on the grills thermometer but it's pushing 300+ degrees at grate level. That's too hot to run constantly. That's with a small fire that really isn't realistic for an offset smoker. I'm just not sure it's possible to run a smoker this small on splits. I'm thinking it's more for lump and chunks of wood. Which I'm sure would be a great smoker but I was hoping to run it on splits alone. I'm just not seeing it in the 10 hours of so I've played around with it.

Trying with out the plate as suggested is a good plan - take the radiant heat out of the equation.

But in all likelihood you will need a smaller fire. I known you mentioned you tried a small fire, but if the smoker is running too hot - it’s still too big.

Lots of folks run 16” Horizons on splits. But that doesn’t necessarily translate to your smoker.

Last edited:
Also - try what I mentioned in the post above. Let it come down to 250 before adding a split. Try and size it so it spikes up to 300 or so, then let it settle. Repeat when it comes back down to 250.

It appeared the radiant heat alone kept the cook chamber at 250 degrees. Here is a picture of the fire I built where I was able to contain 280 degrees at the food grate. The picture may be a little deceiving. It's a dinky fire and not really meant to run a offset smoker.

PXL-20210714-011124525.jpg

That fire doesn’t look that small for a smoker that sized to be honest. You might have a problem keeping a coal bed with a fire that small

A Lone Star Grillz fire basket would help keep a good coal bed with a small fire. Or a homemade fascimile . I've seen some people on Facebook making their own.

A good coal bed with an 8 to 10" split, maybe 2" diameter, should be plenty of fuel.

The coal bed was hard to keep going with that little amount of wood. I think a basket would help. Thanks guys for the suggestions and split size. That definitely helps.

Here's where the idea for the LSG Fire basket originated, with Kosmos. But he explains the how/why here, the vid should start at that point

https://youtu.be/awm0z0L0bMY?t=160

That type of basket will also allow you to keep the fire close to the firebox door, away from the cook chamber. It effectively gives you a longer firebox. That will help keep direct heat out of the cook chamber. I had the LSG basket in my Old Country Brazos. I set it in the bottom of the firebox, no grate of any kind, and it worked very well to help me manage the fire.

The only problem I found with the LSG basket , is its designed for their firebox grates, which have openings for air under the basket. Kosmos basket sets up off the floor, by a inch or more. I put my LSG basket on firebricks to keep space underneath.

Something else to try , that won't cost as much or be as much trouble, is line the bottom of your firebox with firebrick. Take that coal grate out and build your fire in the bottom of the firebox.

The rounded firebox will help keep the coal bed centered.

The firebrick will create a smaller, steeper, inside diameter.

The firebrick will protect your firebox and also provide insulation that will direct more heat upward and into the cook chamber. Will help a small fire.

Thank you Lynn Dollar. I appreciate the help. I'm going to start with trying your suggestion with skinner 2" splits. I have a Kick Ash Basket for my large Big Green Egg that I'm going to borrow just as a start to try and keep my base of coal a little more contained and maybe manageable. I'll have to cut down the splits in half but will keep them skinnier. Just to see if I can build a fire that small to start.

I'm trying to keep cost as a minimum at this point. I'd hate to keep putting money towards it if I ultimately decide to sell it. I'm happy with my KBQ but figured I'd enjoy learning how to run a traditional smoker. Nothing but a headache so far but I've learned a ton!

Thanks Lynn!

Heat is gonna come from the coal bed. The split provides the flavor. I found that occasionally adding a big chunk of lump charcoal, like the size of a baseball or softball, helps the coal bed a lot and helps keep the heat steady.

Heat is gonna come from the coal bed. The split provides the flavor. I found that occasionally adding a big chunk of lump charcoal, like the size of a baseball or softball, helps the coal bed a lot and helps keep the heat steady.

I found the same when I had my Oklahoma Joe Highland. Keeping the coal bed was tough. I kept a bag of Kamado Joe or Fogo Lump - the really big lump around and would just thrown one on from time to time.

I found the same when I had my Oklahoma Joe Highland. Keeping the coal bed was tough. I kept a bag of Kamado Joe or Fogo Lump - the really big lump around and would just thrown one on from time to time.

I bought a bag of Fogo Premium lump and its mostly good sized pieces. And there's always some good sized lump in B&B Oak lump.

I've also used B&B Char Logs to help the coal bed.

Back