Tips for Competition Ribs

I use a toothpick inserted between the bones in 3-4 places on the rack to test for doneness. If the rack lifts up when you pull the toothpick out, its not done. Arrange the least done racks with the least done side of that rack towards the hottest part of your pit. Set a timer for how long you want before you check them again - usually its 45 mins to start after wrapping, then 20mins, then 15mins, and sometimes we get down to 10 mins. But answer the timer and check the ribs! Keep probing, and orienting your meat until they are done. They all don't finish at the same time.

Idk about 190* as a finish temp. Would be looking for around 203-207 in my neck of the woods.

We use toothpicks. Slide between multiple ribs without ANY resistance and you're there. It'll take some practice to know exactly how it feels.

didisea's advice is great as well

+1

190 they will be done but there will still be a good tug to them. Lots of ways to do it (bend, toothpick, etc.) and they will all be good with some practice. I know some people who swear by bending, temping, or toothpicks. Others try and twist the bones. Whatever method you can do consistently is the best one for you. I have had ribs that a "felt" done with a bend test, but weren't. And you know what? They took another 30 minutes before they were "bite through." :grin:

I use a toothpick inserted between the bones in 3-4 places on the rack to test for doneness. If the rack lifts up when you pull the toothpick out, its not done. Arrange the least done racks with the least done side of that rack towards the hottest part of your pit. Set a timer for how long you want before you check them again - usually its 45 mins to start after wrapping, then 20mins, then 15mins, and sometimes we get down to 10 mins. But answer the timer and check the ribs! Keep probing, and orienting your meat until they are done. They all don't finish at the same time.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been thinking of staggering the ribs AS I put them on so I have a step up process when testing.

Idk about 190* as a finish temp. Would be looking for around 203-207 in my neck of the woods.

We use toothpicks. Slide between multiple ribs without ANY resistance and you're there. It'll take some practice to know exactly how it feels.

didisea's advice is great as well

Thanks for the tip. For a bit I was only using the Thermapen to check. Last few cooks I've been using toothpicks I think I'm getting a better feel. TY.

+1

190 they will be done but there will still be a good tug to them. Lots of ways to do it (bend, toothpick, etc.) and they will all be good with some practice. I know some people who swear by bending, temping, or toothpicks. Others try and twist the bones. Whatever method you can do consistently is the best one for you. I have had ribs that a "felt" done with a bend test, but weren't. And you know what? They took another 30 minutes before they were "bite through." :grin:

Thanks. One consistent piece of advice seems to be "leave em for another 30 minutes." If I win next. You all get the credit. TY.

It appear as if your bones are placed out of order. When you cut your ribs, the bones should be placed in the order in which they came from the rack. So, rib 1, 2, 3,...

Robert

It could be that I have been choosing my "best" ribs and then piecing them together. As opposed to choosing my best "grouping" of 3/4 and putting those in the box side-by-side. I agree. It might be causing a "mis-matched" look that is causing lower appearance scores.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been thinking of staggering the ribs AS I put them on so I have a step up process when testing.

Your starting to overthink it. If you do a staggered start, you'll be opening and closing your pit more to check the ribs.

If you were cooking many racks (8-10)ish you could "bracket" the ribs, meaning that you purposefully pull 1-2 racks before you think they are done and 1-2 racks after you think they are VERY tender, and finish 4-5 racks at what you think is optimal tenderness. That way, you cover the spectrum of tenderness.

Since you state that you are a KCBS CBJ, how do your ribs look and taste verses those you have judged during a KCBS competition, including a comparison of tenderness ?

It could be that I have been choosing my "best" ribs and then piecing them together. As opposed to choosing my best "grouping" of 3/4 and putting those in the box side-by-side. I agree. It might be causing a "mis-matched" look that is causing lower appearance scores.

By the even look of your bottom bones, maybe you wanted to put those on top?

LOL...and if the extra 30 minutes makes them overdone?? :noidea:

My first comp, I had judges say "perfect" and "overcooked" and "dry"....lol they were bones from the same rack. Just make the best ribs you can at the end of the day. Just practice. Give the racks to your neighbors if you start getting sick of ribs.

It appear as if your bones are placed out of order. When you cut your ribs, the bones should be placed in the order in which they came from the rack. So, rib 1, 2, 3,...

Robert

Nice catch Robert , looking back at pic after reading this is i see what you seen.
Also OP could be why a swing in scores due to each judges getting a different rib from different slab. Id try get the center cut section of my best 2 slabs, box those.

Since you state that you are a KCBS CBJ, how do your ribs look and taste verses those you have judged during a KCBS competition, including a comparison of tenderness ?

Good question. Honestly, I find it very hard to judge my own ribs. I put so much time and BBQ love into them that I tend to "over value" how good they are. That's why I always try to share them with others around me at he comp to try and get a third-party tasting/judging. Based on what I have seen in the judge's tent, I would say that my ribs have been a bit "tight" and over-sauced.

Back