Throwdown Question

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Andy
Posted here so more people would see it. I've noticed recently that a lot less people are entering the throwdowns recently. WHY? Bob C Que, can you start a poll on this so we can get a definitive answer.

Try something outside your comfort zone. We have a lot of different themes every other week. Pull an "Adams" and MSU (Make Sh*t Up)!

Sometimes, if we are lucky enough, we'll get a sponsor that will give you free stuff if you win. Other times we don't. Oh well, we'd still like to see what you can come up with.

What if no one votes for my entry? Well, you can proudly post it in the ZERO thread, join many other brethren who have posted before you. Or, you might even get a Dilly Bar if your entry doesn't come close to the challenge. I'm proud to say I have received several of them over the years.

Get off your butt and cook something!!! We want to see what you can do! Hell, we may even want to cook what you just cooked!

Can’t speak for anyone else, but I can tell you the one and only reason I don’t enter the throw downs. It’s simple. I don’t know how to post pictures. And it’s not just here. I have yet to figure out how to do it. There, I feel better getting that off my chest.

I'm guilty of not entering throwdowns that I'd like to. I'm not sure, it used to be the bothersome procedure of posting pictures, but I've greatly improved on that front recently. And I've got a fancy new 3 yr old phone that takes some pretty good pics. It is exciting to enter a throwdown for me. I don't mind getting a zero, it's for fun, right? Sometimes it's just out of my wheelhouse, sometimes it's just laziness, or the Mrs. isn't interested in eating it. And sometimes it's just life keeping you busy. I intend to do more.

Maybe winter has something to do with it for a lot of people too. :shock:

I hear you Whumpa! That used to be a totaly pita for me. Used to be and hour or two to post an entry and it'd end up way oversized, sideways, upside down, and just wasn't worth it. But please take the time to figure it out if you are interested. Ron has a great how-to's in the throwdown subforum. I took an hour and kinda figured it out, and it has saved me way more than that already.

I've only managed to enter one so far - intend to try more, but life has been complicated lately. When I do fit in a cook, the trouble has been remembering/taking the time to photograph things. And, often, it's been dark out. And, my photography skills are somewhat lacking.

Always less entries in Winter. It will pick up soon.

For those a little less tech savvy, maybe some posting experts can do a tutorial for a sticky on the throwdowns. (unless it's been done? Dunno?)

Can’t speak for anyone else, but I can tell you the one and only reason I don’t enter the throw downs. It’s simple. I don’t know how to post pictures. And it’s not just here. I have yet to figure out how to do it. There, I feel better getting that off my chest.

I hear you Whumpa! That used to be a totaly pita for me. Used to be and hour or two to post an entry and it'd end up way oversized, sideways, upside down, and just wasn't worth it. But please take the time to figure it out if you are interested. Ron has a great how-to's in the throwdown subforum. I took an hour and kinda figured it out, and it has saved me way more than that already.

And that is why I don't even attempt to post pictures. If it is more than three or four clicks away from copy to paste then I'm out. Then there is the lact of skills concerned with taking pictures. None of the pictures that I take are even remotely as nice as the ones posted. I see pictures posted that look like a professional took them and then mine look like I'm using and Instamatic, blurry and with shadows etc. And the last issue would be plating skills.

I'd like to do it, but too many self imposed obstacles I suppose.

Last edited:
for me, living in MN I grill less in winter (you'll also notice I'm much less active here in winter)

it's not to say I never grill in winter, but much less, so just get involved in the TD's. As we close in on spring, I'm sure I'll enter again

Grilling in sub zero weather just isn't fun

And that is why I don't even attempt to post pictures. If it is more than three or four clicks away from copy to paste then I'm out. Then there is the lact of skills concerned with taking pictures. None of the pictures that I take are even remotely as nice as the ones posted. I see pictures posted that look like a professional took them and then mine look like I'm using and Instamatic, blurry and with shadows etc. And the last issue would be plating skills.

I'd like to do it, but too many self imposed obstacles I supposed.

Yeah, my picture quality is always behind, but overtime I have gotten better at it

who knew throw-down would develop ancillary skills. I went from really bad at photos to just bad

I know a lot people are skeptical when they see cooks and pics on this forum but really it's anyone's game. Just go check out the Hall Of Fame threads. I used to enter a lot more some years back but I don't have much time anymore.. Wish I had time to enter more involved cooks.

So go for it!

I really comes down to time for me. With everything going on during the week, I get to spend weekends doing all the chores. I barely have time to cook anything for just the family.

I know a lot people are skeptical when they see cooks and pics on this forum but really it's anyone's game. Just go check out the Hall Of Fame threads. I used to enter a lot more some years back but I don't have much time anymore.. Wish I had time to enter more involved cooks.

So go for it!

I miss my time posting cook threads. Both throwdowns and regular qtalk. It can really be hard to find the time to do a detailed cook these days.

Back