THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I'm having a helluva time finding good wood in Kansas City...BBQ Freak sent me home with some really nicely seasoned hickory that burned really well and I got spoiled. I picked up some pecan from Woodyard BBQ that I didn't like how it burned, it was around 15%. I got another load of pecan off Craigslist that is at 19% and I could hear it steaming in the fire box when I was trying to get the smoker up to temp. An hour after lighting and I was still at 150* :rolleyes:

Google sez anything under 20% should be good but I've not liked anything from 15% on up.

If anyone has the hook up for some great oak/hickory/pecan in the Kansas City metro I'm in the market.

I keep it in the warming box to heat and it'll still smolder. It doesn't make coals as well either. I don't like a bunch of smoke coming out the stack.

7%-10% is perfect. That was my source when I was cooking on an offset. I still get my wood from the woodyard but I let it season longer before I use it. Whenever I get down enough to having 2 or 3 months left I get more wood to store and season while I use the last of what I got. Their prices are too good to pass up.

7%-10% is perfect. That was my source when I was cooking on an offset. I still get my wood from the woodyard but I let it season longer before I use it. Whenever I get down enough to having 2 or 3 months left I get more wood to store and season while I use the last of what I got. Their prices are too good to pass up.

That sounds a little low for smoking to me but only my opinion. Firewood for heat is different than wood for smoking meat.

I like little to no smoke coming off my stack....the cooks where I've been able to maintain that turned out the best food for what I like.

Did you check some of the sticks Jeff gave you? They should be perfect or he wouldn't have given them to you. I used to do the knocking together or going by weight/size. I find Jeff's way of leaving them out until they turn black on the ends takes all the guess work out of the equation.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I did a Google search and a bunch of places came up.

MidWest Premium Firewood

A1 Oak N Hickory LLC

All-Oak and Custom Firewood

Southside Wood Co

Firewood In Overland Park

Joe's Oak Firewood

Did you check some of the sticks Jeff gave you? They should be perfect or he wouldn't have given them to you. I used to do the knocking together or going by weight/size. I find Jeff's way of leaving them out until they turn black on the ends takes all the guess work out of the equation.

I didn't have a meter before I burned through them all, but they were definitely fantastic. I would buy a cord of something and just let it sit for a year until I liked it but I can't go that long without using the Shirley again :grin:

I did a Google search and a bunch of places came up.

MidWest Premium Firewood

A1 Oak N Hickory LLC

All-Oak and Custom Firewood

Southside Wood Co

Firewood In Overland Park

Joe's Oak Firewood

I can Google too :tongue:

I've found that firewood =/= smoking wood so was hoping someone here knew of a source for "ready now" wood.

On the other side of Missouri I find Craigslist deals for seasoned Oak and Hickory all the time. My method is to order more than I need for a season. Once I get down to the last half I order more. Then the new stuff gets to season for another few months before you need it. Also...order firewood in the summer or early fall. You may get leftovers from last fall that didn't sell. Wait until late fall and you are more likely to get stuf that has only seasoned for 6-8 months.

I am old fashioned, but I still use the knocking method and have very good luck. I also always pre-heat splits before I put them in. My smoke never changes. Always TBS.

Yeah, I put about 10 splits in my warmer and opened the dampers up to get them warmed up to 225* or so....hoping that'll be enough for me to get the fire started well the next time and heat more splits for the cook.

Split your sticks smaller. Thinner splits burn easier.

Back