This Is Why I Laugh.....

You could have used a number of tools to sear the steak just like you could use a number of tools removing a bolt. The point of your post was to use the right tool for the job, but I don’t think you did that with the cast iron Kamado combination.

Obviously, a lot of my reasoning is purely opinion. Some people will prefer to sear in a pan with oil and aromatics, others will prefer to use flame and get a little char with their sear. Some will prefer both depending on the occasion.

You are correct saying a pellet grill is not the best way to sear a steak (IMHO), but it CAN sear a steak and if that’s the tool available, and you asked me to, I could make do and sear a damn good steak on one, just like I could with a weed torch, on a kettle, Kamado, gas stove, salamander (better beefer), open wood fire, or heck even with an electric heat gun paint stripper. Been there, done that will all of them.

Good points.

But if you and the others really want to know, I was at the end of seasoning some of my cast iron and putting it away and decided to cook something before winding it down and turning in. Decided to pour another chimney load of lump over the remainder of that already burning down in the Kamado and cook a snack.

At around dusk, I went to the local supermarket and picked up this 3 pack of cheap steaks.

I understand your points and they are well taken. But this was really something to do, an excuse for cooking something real quick after seasoning my cast iron grates and griddle as opposed to my best effort to prepare a steak.

Last edited:
Agree with m-fine above. You can only use what you have. I don't have a pellet grill so I have no experience with them and so will not offer any opinions. I do have a kamado, 3 Webers and a searing grate so that is what I use and I get great results.

Kamado:

Weber:

Thanks for looking.

Thanks for posting.

Appreciate the images of the cast iron on the Kamado and the Kettle.

I don't know what any of this equipment is. I feel like a caveman. :sad:

She's probably out searing the fark out of a steak on her Memphis just to prove a point. Then she will post pics of it that look like they belong in some foodie mag!

She's probably out searing the fark out of a steak on her Memphis just to prove a point. Then she will post pics of it that look like they belong in some foodie mag!

i don't know what the Cowgirl is doing but I had to try to cook my first steak on my MAK to see how it would sear, I hadn't tried that feature yet. Ended up too much sear and over cooked a tad but it certainly can sear. I will have to work on this to dial it in but again it can sear and other tool are more suited for the task for sure.

I also started with a cheap rib eye from the market I picked up
VnQAWI9h.jpg

I exposed the sear zone and got it up as high as it would go, this was shot was aimed at the top of the aluminum sear grate.
x6ASgiXh.jpg

first a couple of burgers to test
Ls6Vi7Ih.jpg

first side 4 min rotate and then another 4
993cW45h.jpg

that was a bit much so I went 3/3 on the next side it worked a little better
SSljkiJh.jpg

vYJYGjeh.jpg

P963d04h.jpg

i don't know what the Cowgirl is doing but I had to try to cook my first steak on my MAK to see how it would sear, I hadn't tried that feature yet. Ended up too much sear and over cooked a tad but it certainly can sear. I will have to work on this to dial it in but again it can sear and other tool are more suited for the task for sure.

I also started with a cheap rib eye from the market I picked up

VnQAWI9h.jpg

I exposed the sear zone and got it up as high as it would go, this was shot was aimed at the top of the aluminum sear grate.

x6ASgiXh.jpg

first a couple of burgers to test

Ls6Vi7Ih.jpg

first side 4 min rotate and then another 4

993cW45h.jpg

that was a bit much so I went 3/3 on the next side it worked a little better

SSljkiJh.jpg

vYJYGjeh.jpg

P963d04h.jpg

Love how you’re putting that MAK to the test, Tom! MAK’s latest firmware allows for an even higher top end temp than that. When using my MAK sear grates, I still don’t set the controller higher than 450° as it’s beyond hot enough at the grate surface for my basic grilling needs. I think I will always be a lump charcoal kinda guy when it comes to steaks though… :)

I hear ya Robb, I had it set on grill, first time. I had grilled everything at 450 prior but was shooting for searing magic :noidea:

LgPvCb6.jpg

Nothing wrong with using conventional tools in the kitchen, or vice grips or water pump pliers (aka Channel Locks) in a pinch to remove whatever... In fact I still have a pair of 410's I was issued in a refinery in 1974, those things are built to last.

I use IR's at work every day, and they are great for cast iron and other dark surfaces, shiny surfaces can cause some false readings. ...., as far as calibrating, an iced water bath works good for the low end, and comparing to a surface thermometer works for the high end. But in the high lonesome....sometimes it's just too cold for a ice bath, so I confirm readings with NOAA. :mrgreen:

EDOf9X0.jpg

Ummm tom?

You know that’s a fail right?

749° isn’t even close to 991°...

#seewhatimsayin

:becky:

GREAT!!! Now I have to go out and buy a Kamado and a pellet pooper so I can try all of these techniques. I just love how you guys like to spend my money.

GREAT!!! Now I have to go out and buy a Kamado and a pellet pooper so I can try all of these techniques. I just love how you guys like to spend my money.

Not so fast there skippy!

You forgot a MEATER or BEEFER or some sort of salasomething!

Back