Think we're back in the game.... success

Debmar

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
shoe
I had asked last week for some advice on ideas for next cook to try and rescue my families failing belief that my smoked creations were worth eating. (after a less than stellar beef rib try initially on my new to me, kind of UDS home made smoker)

Decided to go the Fattie route Saturday and...…… they liked it!

32482278838_95c70c6275_c.jpg

Went with a ground beef fattie filled with cream cheese, some shredded cheddar, left over chicken fingers chopped up with diced pickled banana peppers and Louisiana hot sauce. found a cookie dough plunger type gun and used that as a fattie piston and that worked really well. The bacon weave was less than stellar but I used some homemade bacon that was pretty thick cut and not very long so that could use some refinement.

But it was really good and my daughter came back for 2nds (always a good barometer of success)

I am amazed by the distinct (smoke ring?) band around the perimeter. Is that always the case or was it the way I cooked it. I was a little pressed for time so I had the uds at about 275 ish for about 2 hours 45 min. Waiting till about 1 hour 45 min before it opened it up and put the internal thermometer in and pulled it at 165. I was worried about too strong a smoke flavor after my last try so only had a couple small pieces of oak in with the briquettes. (weber briquettes)

Was worried about sealing up and leaks (on the fattie) but that seemed to go real well. Just used our normal burger method for the ground beef with a little egg, rolled oats and onion soup mix in it.

I also crisped up the bacon a touch with a propane torch once out of the smoker. Could I just open up the smoker inlets to crank up the temp for a few minutes or would that not work?

sorry for all the questions but always open to suggestions to improve. you won't hurt my feelings so fire away. I appreciate it.

Thanks

It looks great! I think the bacon will do much better if you use thinner pieces. But definitely cooking at a higher temp will help the bacon to crisp up. 300 degrees or so. Oak in my opinion is a stronger smoke. If you are worried about smoke flavor with the fam then I would go with a fruit wood like apple. Keep up the good work!

Yup try a fruit wood. I like cherry wood it has a mello smoke flavor not real overpowering. It will turn poultry a darker color so it may look burnt but its not. Save the hardwoods for brisket or steaks.

Back