They're ALIVE!!!! 2012 Edition -- Garden growing tips, tricks, pron

Saiko

is One Chatty Farker
Somebody has to get the party started for this year! Hoping to continue the garden thread started in 2010.

Spring came a little early this year so thought I would get the herb/tomato garden going this weekend.

Rosemary, Thyme and Greek Oregano are from last year. Added 3 cherry tomato plants, 3 dill, 2 Italian parsley, 4 sweet basil, 1 cilantro and 1 mint plant. Also planted cilantro, dill and parsley seeds for when this batch of plants peter out.
herb.jpg

Very nice. I made up my mind got get a little garden started this year as well. Still deciding where to put it and what to plant but I know I need to get on in quick.

That's a great looking garden you have there, Saiko! :clap2: My mother used to love the tomatoes my Dad grew in his garden. I doubt that he will plant any this year since he only grew them for her. You are inspiring me to plant some in my backyard and grow them in memory of her.

We're getting ready to put in our garden pretty soon. Got a couple hard frosts forecast this week yet though.

We are at a balmy 69 here in Mid-Michigan as I type this.
Freeze warnings tonite and tomorrow nite.
I am still afraid to remove my snow blade off my tractor and put the mower on!
This is Michigan after all. Seen many heavy snot storms or blizzards the 3 week of April here.

We usually don't plant until April 1st but this year everything seems to be early.

Spring has sprung here in central Texas so you should be good-to-go down where you're at.

We got maters, peppers, okra, onion, cabbage, lettuce, cantaloupe, watermelon, cukes, radish, squash and zukes going.:pray:

I just planted this year's basil, thyme and sage. My oregano and rosemary wintered beautifully.

I also planted jelepeños and New Mexican red peppers. No sweet peppers this year.

CD

Be careful with the mint, if not contained it will spread all over and be difficult to get rid of!

Yeah, I go through a LOT of mint and I'm used to it popping up everywhere. Last year I just transplanted all the "mini-mints" that were sprouting up and didn't have to plant anything.

I needed some for this week so decided to throw a new one in the ground. Can't beat fresh mint in the summer time!

Keep some plastic sheeting handy to cover all that stuff with when Mother Nature throws that early April curveball.It MAY not happen but the AVERAGES say it WILL! :wink:

i've got it goin, it started early, then a weird cold snap set me back, but here's a few Pics, i love this thread, glad it carried on for another year!!!
429686_10150613686932759_578407758_9291853_1876743735_n.jpg

543373_10150677178627759_578407758_9535085_1125733306_n.jpg

Im trying the "HUGELKULTURE thing this year, it's basically buried wood, that as it rots out it feeds/waters the plants... so i dont have to use as much water... we'll see....
423174_10150525462047759_578407758_9016361_814414330_n.jpg

418971_10150578989957759_578407758_9169823_1423554273_n.jpg

adding a windbreak/ eyesore relief from the garden area, cuz there is to be a weddin' in the back yard soon, planted 9 jasmine plants along there i do love the smell of jasmine!!
535066_10150677179932759_578407758_9535088_1878154682_n.jpg

i've got it goin, it started early, then a weird cold snap set me back

I was taught how to garden by my grandma. I told her once she should plant the garden further from the house so she could plant more. She grinned and said "Plant it away from the house and you'll forget it. Keeping it close to the house, you can look out the window and decide what you wanna pick and have in tonight's dinner." Sounded like good advice to me so my gardens have always been up close to the house where I can keep an eye on em.

My younger daughter planted a garden this year too. I had told her years ago what my grandma told me. Surprise, surprise! Her garden is up close to the house so she can wander out there and pick a nice salad for her and my granddaughter in the evenings.

There is a lot of good sense in the idea of planting near the house. My first garden at the house we are in now was in the back and off to the side. There were only a few places inside the house where you could see it. It did not do well at all. Now I have a garden in the front where I see it every time I go out of house. (Plus it's next to my smoker canopy. :-D) So, it gets a lot of attention.

Got containers with hot peppers in the front yard with a herb garden. Cabbage, lettuce, cucumbers and tomatoes in back. I'll post pictures tomorrow :-D

Tomatoes and basil potted up and waiting for the "safe" season; Cherokee Purple, Azoychka, Fireworks, Paul Robeson, Caspian Pink tommies, some Thai and sweet basil, sage and oregano ready to plant

Back