Thermoworks Thermapens

They are great...and the orange ones are most accurate:twisted:

Besides the virtues that the guys have already pointed out, Thermoworks provides great customer service. Mine stopped turning off so i e-mailed them and had an RMA the same day. I sent it in and they repaired it and are shipping back to me for $10. That's great service and hard to beat!
I wonder if that works for waterlogged ones.:sad: Even though my Blue one was the most accurate i found out the other day that it is not waterproof:sad:

What's wrong with RED? Mine is fast AND accurate. I guess if you want just accurate, you get green and if you want fast, you get blue. Red has it all! :p:wink:

I wonder if that works for waterlogged ones.:sad: Even though my Blue one was the most accurate i found out the other day that it is not waterproof:sad:

I left my super-fast, super-accurate Yellow one out in the rain a while back (McArthur Park mod). I just took out the battery and set it sit on an air vent for a few days. It dried out and worked fine (until the switch incident, which I am pretty sure is unrelated to the McArthur Park incident).

I posed the question to the Thermapen folks about speed and accuracy just for grins...

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your kind words.

Color doesn’t make any difference in the speed of a Thermapen. The only possible difference is in the High Accuracy version (white) which does have a higher accuracy specification. All the regular “Super-Fast” models should have approximately the same speed (within 1 or 2 seconds of each other). At home, speed is best tested in an ice bath while gently stirring the Thermapen probe. Here and there we have found some units that are a tad bit faster than most but it has nothing to do with color.

Each Super-Fast probe is individually tested in production before being assembled to a Thermapen. They are tested for both speed and accuracy.

Thanks again,
Randy Owen
ThermoWorks, Inc.
www.thermoworks.com

Last edited by a moderator:
They don't want to tip their hand, but clearly as their reply is in the color blue they are saying it's the blue model just keeping it on the hush like a wink for those who are in the know.

They don't want to tip their hand, but clearly as their reply is in the color blue they are saying it's the blue model just keeping it on the hush like a wink for those who are in the know.

In what color?

I posed the question to the Thermapen folks about speed and accuracy just for grins...

Hi Jeff,

Color usually doesn’t make any difference in the speed of a Thermapen. The only possible difference is in the High Accuracy version (orange) which does have a higher accuracy specification. All the regular “Super-Fast” models should have approximately the same speed (within 1 or 2 seconds of each other). At home, speed is best tested in an ice bath while gently stirring the Thermapen probe. Here and there we have found some units that are a tad bit faster than most, and it seems that most are orange in color.

Each Super-Fast probe is individually tested in production before being assembled to a Thermapen. They are tested for both speed and accuracy.

Thanks again,
Randy Owen
ThermoWorks, Inc.
www.thermoworks.com
See, I told you orange was better!

Here's the response I received:

We have found that color does make a difference in the speed of a Thermapen. All the regular “Super-Fast” models should have approximately the same speed (within 1 or 2 seconds of each other) with the exception of the blue model. At home, speed is best tested in an ice bath while gently stirring the Thermapen probe. Here is where we have found that the blue units are faster than other models.

Each Super-Fast probe is individually tested in production before being assembled to a Thermapen. They are tested for both speed and accuracy. This is why we feel comfortable is saying that the blue model is the most accurate and fastest model we sale.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Just picked up my new Thermopen today at The KC BBQ Store. It just so happens to be a Blue one.

What-ever color you get, just make sure to fold it before you slip it in the front pocket of your pants :eek:

I'm still wondering what color I got ...

I know I told Smokin Gator that it didn't matter, but that really meant I want red, black or stainless. I trust he has the instinct to read between the lines.

The yellow one that I use actually tells me the temp as soon as I lift the lid on the smoker-panther like fast!

Back