THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ShencoSmoke

is Blowin Smoke!
On the western edge of the Shenandoah Valley, at the headwaters of the historical Cedar Creek there is a dot on the map by the name of Zepp. Every year we load the satellite dishes in the truck and head over the mountain to enjoy a few days of basketball, friendship and food. What your about to see is a example of why the food ALWAYS tastes better when surrounded by friends and post card views. I hope you enjoy, I sure did.

We headed over the mountain Thursday morning to get the TV's set up and the UDS hot. This is the last view before cresting the mountain into the Cedar Creek Valley. The view is of an area just north of Woodstock, Va, the seven bends of the Shenandoah Valley in the background.
IMG_0162.jpg
Seven racks of ribs and a pork butt getting prepped.
IMG_0134.jpg
IMG_0135.jpg
Although we had plenty of sides, there was no chance of the ribs touching a plate. We simply placed them on the cutting board (unsauced) and devoured all 6 racks in less than 10 minutes. I did have sauce available, the BH Tennessee Red was the favorite among the group.
IMG_0022.jpg
The next morning we decided to get a little crazy with the second pork butt. We injected with a soy sauce/apple juice combo and rubbed with a black pepper and Asian spice blend. We used a heavy coat of sriracha to bind the rub.
IMG_0138.jpg
On the UDS at 10:30 am with a 17 pound corned beef brisket.
IMG_0140.jpg
For lunch we had a mini fatty throwdown between 2 local butchers. I had to fight my way through the kitchen to snap this picture. (BTW- Gore's Meats won)
IMG_0142.jpg
The sriracha pork but was amazing (sorry no pics). We didn't end up finishing with the Korean BBQ Sauce (it didn't need it). We intentionally wrapped to capture the soy/apple "juices" and it made in incredible dip for the pulled pork. I WILL do this again.
Here is a pic of the Corned Beef Brisket, We had planned for ruebens the next day but the beef didn't make it past the late night munch.
IMG_0150.jpg
Just when I thought things couldn't get any better the ladies showed up with the youngin's on Saturday. I spend the afternoon fishing with my 2 favorite people on earth. They both landed a couple trout, the fish were lucky that it is catch and release.
IMG_0151.jpg

Looks like a great time. Food looks excellent! The sirachi (known as hot cock around here, see label) has me intrigued. Give me an idea of the overall flavor.

Looks like great time. Food looks excellent! The sirachi (known as hot cocktail around here) has me intrigued. Give me an idea of the overall flavor.

I will be honest, the idea came up about 1 am Thursday night, you get the picture. The rub we threw together was peppery, which was intentional. The soy/apple injection was intended to mellow out the pepper, the result was a pork bite that grabbed your attention but when dipped in the sweeter drippings it worked well. The heat from the sriracha was evident but not lingering.

Nice idea with the sriracha! Looks like a great time and great food!

I can' take all the credit for the sriracha idea, but I will gladly take the ball and run. I'm thinking of doing it again soon and serving it on some type of Chinese sticky bun. Only problem is that I have no bread skilz and the frozen buns at the market are so so at best.

Now.............THAT! is how it is done.......family, friends and great food, it doesn't get much better than that.......and the setting, wow, beautiful!

Thanks for sharing!

KC

I don't know how I missed this thread. Everything looks great! Love the setting and the food. Doesn't get any better than this! Thanks for posting. :-D

Thanks everyone, it was a great time. A few of my friends had never heard of ( much less tasted) a sausage fatty. I think I saw a tear in a few of their eyes when they tasted one for the first time. Just another example of how the things we learn and pass on from this forum can change a persons perception about what great BBQ is. I'm guessing they stopped and bought sausage on the way home.

Back