The turn-in window

Bobby, you wouldn't have been on the list of usual suspects to take a perfectly worthwhile competition thread and navigate it straight to the Woodpile.
crylaugh.gif

I turn my box in when it's ready. I defiantly don't need another thing at a comp to over analyze!

BINGO!!!

The only time that I am aware of where "who is on the table with you" or "when you turn it in" is an issue in in MIM/MBA and "Best of the Best" where they use comparative judging.
We have not figured that system out yet :oops:

Just a thought

TIM

Couple years ago at Dover I was walking in my Pork entry with Jack McDavid. And who strolls up behind us? Mrs. Trigg. Jack politely steps out of line drops back about 10 people. (Yes, I'm throwing him under the bus :icon_devil). I, on the other hand, felt bullish (or cocky?) and decided to go head-to-head with the Triggs.

The result? IQue bombed Pork, Smokin Triggers 1st place Pork :lol: Apparently Jack was the smart one.

That's a great story, Chris! I've never really thought about who's turning in around me.

That said, having literally "hit" the turn-in table a couple times running too fast to keep from getting DQ'd with 1-2 seconds left, I now aim for the front end of turn-in times.

At the first comp we attended we were talking with one of the old guard and he was ready to turn in and was watching who was heading for the line.when he saw what he wanted he was gone in a little cloud of dust.At our first comp we competed in we shot to be there when they started taking the boxes for fear of not getting done in time.Next one we were a little longer and the third one we just tried to avoid getting there when Scottie and Alex were coming down the hill....

Many interesting posts on my question. I have a hard time believing that some teams have enough time at their disposal to actually time their entries as to be able to determine what other teams are on the same table as their submission. Wow, I must be doing something wrong!

Many interesting posts on my question. I have a hard time believing that some teams have enough time at their disposal to actually time their entries as to be able to determine what other teams are on the same table as their submission. Wow, I must be doing something wrong!

You should trade spots with me in New Holland this year. I can literally watch the judges clock tick down then lightly toss my entry from my prep table into their arms.

Was this a contest at which there were assigned spaces? Were those spaces assigned by order of entries received, or some other process? Or was it unassigned spots and simply a matter of the experienced teams knowing to get there early to get the spots they want?

I don't see an issue here, frankly. Any team can have their entry ready at any part of the window, and enter their box whenever they see fit. We've won when we've been close to turn-ins, and we've won when we've been located at the ass-end of the field.
It is at a contest which has developed into on of the mid-west's largest events. Yes the sites were assigned. The named teams I alluded to have always been located next to the judges building on pavement while the no names were located on a grass sloping site. Again it's hard to believe the sites were chosen randomly. Maybe the teams requested to be located close together.

RV teams?... well, it is what it is then.

So, what's to prevent a no-name team from the other end of the field on the sloping grass from turning in their box whenever they want?

Let me create a scenario for you. Let's say you have a 50+ team contest.
You are fortunate enough to be located next to the turn-in site. You have a team member, your runner, watching the entrants as they approach the turn-in site. It is easy to keep track of who turns in and when. Do you want your entry to go head to head with the top teams or would you prefer to place your entry in with 5 no name teams? Being located next to the judging tent allows this to be done with what I think happens when people turn in their entry. Unless I am mistaken when 6 entries arrive they are placed in a tray and taken to the judges without being placed in the judging delivery trays by some other random process. The explanation I have been given is the entries are delivered to the judges asap to attempt delivering a hot/warm product.:icon_sad I know judges are not supposed to compare but...:roll:

And their is nothing from keeping a team that has a spot on the other side of the competition from standing near the turn in a waiting for the same situtation. Sure it might be more convenient for a team near the turn in to '"wait" but I wouldn't say it's easier. It's not likely they can pack the box when they pick their spot and get it on that tray.

Let me create a scenario for you. Let's say you have a 50+ team contest.
You are fortunate enough to be located next to the turn-in site. You have a team member, your runner, watching the entrants as they approach the turn-in site. It is easy to keep track of who turns in and when. Do you want your entry to go head to head with the top teams or would you prefer to place your entry in with 5 no name teams? Being located next to the judging tent allows this to be done with what I think happens when people turn in their entry. Unless I am mistaken when 6 entries arrive they are placed in a tray and taken to the judges without being placed in the judging delivery trays by some other random process. The explanation I have been given is the entries are delivered to the judges asap to attempt delivering a hot/warm product.:icon_sad I know judges are not supposed to compare but...:roll:

And their is nothing from keeping a team that has a spot on the other side of the competition from standing near the turn in a waiting for the same situtation. Sure it might be more convenient for a team near the turn in to '"wait" but I wouldn't say it's easier. It's not likely they can pack the box when they pick their spot and get it on that tray.

And it is exactly these scenarios that I find completely ridiculous. Perhaps we are making a mountain out of a molehill, but if it is happening a lot I think something should be done to prevent it.

Agree, I'm not basting in the sun waiting for some unknowns to come up. I think it's a molehill. Welcome the challenge and hope it lands on the right table.

I dont know that any of our scores have changed. But a light went off one day when our runner came back and said she turned in our chicken right behind one of the women on that all pink team. (consequently Squeal of Approval won 1st place that day) We laughed and told her not to do that again. She now pays attention to who is in front of her and how many places are left on the try. She does not stand around for 10 min waiting for the perfect spot. But if it’s a matter of stopping to look at her watch and letting a team or two in front of her she’ll do it.

I wouldn't say it's a complete non-factor, and I wouldn't say it's a nefarious plot to favor certain teams either. We've been the far-away team, and had just as much luxury to eyeball approaching entries as anyone else -- at least until I have to scamper back to prep the next box, because remember we're a two-person team without the luxury of a designated runner.

I think the correlation here is that if your cooking is organized and predictable and reproducible enough that you're consistently hitting the front of the window, you've got a lot more going for you when that box hits the table than just who else's food is on that mat with yours.

ah ha.....now it all makes sense. I often wondered why the top flight cooks are always running to catch up to me as I am walking my box to the judges table. And I thought all along they just wanted to walk along and talk with me, or perhaps they wanted to get a wiff of my Hai Karate (am I showing my age here?) Now I KNOW it is because they want their box to be along side of a 'no name team'.:grin::lol::razz:

ah ha.....now it all makes sense. I often wondered why the top flight cooks are always running to catch up to me as I am walking my box to the judges table. And I thought all along they just wanted to walk along and talk with me, or perhaps they wanted to get a wiff of my Hai Karate (am I showing my age here?) Now I KNOW it is because they want their box to be along side of a 'no name team'.:grin::lol::razz:

Feels good to be loved! :mrgreen:

I have seen top notch teams actually come in late by seconds. The Rep yelled out a the last 10 seconds and the runner came around the corner at zero. And that's exactly what they got (a zero). Sometimes, playing the wait game doesn't pay off.

As for ourselves, I try to get my stuff in the middle of the pack. But when that box is done, it gets turned in.

Back