The thermapen is the best thing I have ever got

Also for the record i am not bashing Therma Pen Users.. but I am just saying.. i don't think its important to creating good BBQ. Cooking by feel is the way i choose to do it.. I know i have a cave man mentalilty but hey.. It is what it is.. LOL i am this way about way more than just BBQ i am a DJ on the weekends and i still use wait for it............ Turntables! lol I am old school in that regard too.. I am only 26 years old but i like old school methods better than Newer methods so that is what i stick too..

Making a thermapen a necessary tool for a pitmaster put out good bbq is a bad thing. I cook bbq by feel and only feel. My thermapen hasn't poked a butt or brisket since I got it.

What an instant read thermometer does do is make your grilling and overall cooking better as you will know when your meats/poultry are the temps you want them at so they do not over cook.

I do like doing things old school ways, but there are ways to do things better using new fangled technology. Just think about what pitmasters who cooked bbq in a whole in the ground would say seeing offset smokers. I think a happy medium of blending the old with the new with everything in life makes for a better experience.

HAHAHA. As I read the above post, I just saw a Haynes "No tag" Michael Jordan ad on TV wherein a guy is grillin' burgers and his pants tag starts telling him how to grill and to flip the burgers before they become hockey pucks. MJ comes over, yanks the tag off and tosses it on the grill and into a big flame-up. Lol. Never saw that one before. Good timing.

Back