The thermapen is the best thing I have ever got

I'm on the fence about a thermapen, as it is hard for me to justify spending that amount of $$ for a thermometer, but it does seem to be nearly unanimous that it is a pretty great tool. Is there anything less expensive that is a close second?

I have a Maverick PT 100 which I assume is the only less expensive competitor to the Thermapen (CDN has one you never see used).. JMSetzler did a comparison on youtube and they were pretty close on speed, cheaper and are backlit.. I only had one issue reading 7 degrees off the 732 checked in boiling water yup 7 degrees off, replaced the AAAs and bam dead nuts..
Man, this is the thing that really has stumped me here- the thermapen fetish. I don't get it. Unless you're cooking 50+ steaks or something in a restaurant, I don't see the need for one. (Taking cover behind 5-ft thick lead wall!). I have the $20 therm. made by thermoworks. 5-6 seconds is fast enough for me. $80 (or whatever the open box price is) seems a bit much for a tool that really is unnecessary.

:behindsofa:

And I agree to a point.. For steaks my PT 100 is priceless cooking unfamiliar steaks and thicknesses especially when reverse searing.. But on my Akorn the fast response time is very nice.. IME with the Akorn minimal time with the lid lifted is huge to keeping temps down.. When doing multiple pieces of meat the speed is nice. On my offset where I can put a el cheapo digital in the stack until it gets somewhat close to where I think the temp of meat should be and takes a while is fine, on the Akorn speed really helps..

My Thermapen changed my BBQ world for the better. I really like it for knowing when to pull HH steaks for doneness. Now, rare is rare and medium is medium etc. It's also great for whole turkey and chicken. No more dry brest or underdone thighs.

Thermaworks makes another thermometer that reads in about 5 to 6 seconds that's $20. I've never used one, but I have friends that use it and like it.

I have both. Cough up the extra dough for the real deal.
I bought the misses one of the 5-6 second ones for the kitchen.

If you've never owned a Thermapen, you may think it's great.
If you own/use(d) a Thermapen, you'll think it takes forever to read temp.

I use mine for all my cooking. And as said...

I use time and temp as a "guide" for pork, Brisket... Tenderness is the key, and the Thermapen makes a great probe to accomplish that as well.

But I rely on the temp for Chicken, Steaks, Burgers and Sausage.
I've never cooked better or more consistent steaks as I have since I got my 'pen.

Quote: the thermapen is the best thing I have ever got

You might want to reconsider that unless you are a virgin.

Man, this is the thing that really has stumped me here- the thermapen fetish. I don't get it. Unless you're cooking 50+ steaks or something in a restaurant, I don't see the need for one. (Taking cover behind 5-ft thick lead wall!). I have the $20 therm. made by thermoworks. 5-6 seconds is fast enough for me. $80 (or whatever the open box price is) seems a bit much for a tool that really is unnecessary.

:behindsofa:

Don't hate those of us who have one.

The longer my top/cover/dome is off, the greater the chance for a temp spike/longer cooking times.

I have several cheaper probes like you. But to minimize flares and such, it's the ultrafast British Racing Green model for me!

Love mine. I had to pull the trigger after I missed medium rare (again) on my rib eye's. Haven't had any issues since. Some people just have a feel for when a steak is done like my dad. I have missed on more steaks then I care to admit. I finally admitted defeat and fixed the problem.......me.

Don't own one.. Don't want one... Don't need one.. i use the poke test with a fork, or my index finger.. LOL (Old School Method)

Don't hate those of us who have one.

The longer my top/cover/dome is off, the greater the chance for a temp spike/longer cooking times.

I have several cheaper probes like you. But to minimize flares and such, it's the ultrafast British Racing Green model for me!

Why not? Hating is fun! :mmph:

I don't begrudge those who need one- I say get all the colors of the rainbow and see which one really IS fastest. :-D

I just don't accept the proposition that the quality of MY cooks will improve by virtue of the difference between the Thermapen's 3-sec. speed and the RTC-600's 5-6 sec. speed. :crazy:

One thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three. DAMMIT! Another ruined rib-eye! :rolleyes:

Why not? Hating is fun! :mmph:

I don't begrudge those who need one- I say get all the colors of the rainbow and see which one really IS fastest. :-D

I just don't accept the proposition that the quality of MY cooks will improve by virtue of the difference between the Thermapen's 3-sec. speed and the RTC-600's 5-6 sec. speed. :crazy:

One thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three. DAMMIT! Another ruined rib-eye! :rolleyes:

The speed won't improve the quality of your cook. But is sure is fun to get the fastest reading!

Just like driving a lambo vs driving a kia. Sure getting from my house to the beach is fine in my kia. But it is a helluva a lot more fun in the lambo!

I have a digital thermometer from OXO. I leave the digital read out near the bbq and can either take instant readings by poking with the corded probe or I just leave it in the meat. Works great.

And when the last one we had developed an issue with the probe OXO just sent us a entire new unit for free. No questions asked.

Don't own one.. Don't want one... Don't need one.. i use the poke test with a fork, or my index finger.. LOL (Old School Method)

I knew we'd find your true identity eventually!!!

[ame="http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/c6a3d4b850/backseat-barbecue"]BBQ Prick from Get To The Chopper, brianhenderson, and Jordan Bates[/ame]

The speed won't improve the quality of your cook. But is sure is fun to get the fastest reading!

Just like driving a lambo vs driving a kia. Sure getting from my house to the beach is fine in my kia. But it is a helluva a lot more fun in the lambo!

aawa- I can understand the difference between a Kia and Lamb. What I can't understand is how those 2-3 sec.s equate to that particular car comparison. Maybe a Kia v. a Corolla? Wait a minute....is a Thermapen a chick magnet too???!!! In that case, I'm willing to let all y'all chip in and buy this ignorant Brethren a Thermapen to help him see the light and leave the Dark Ages of Q. :p

I would think the Smoker would be Priority #1...and then the fuel for said smoker, and then the meat.. and then the tools to tend to the meat.. i guess a thermapen would qualify as this category.. but hey if a guy has a thermapen and no smoker fuel or meat i guess he is good to go! :crazy:

Also for the record i am not bashing Therma Pen Users.. but I am just saying.. i don't think its important to creating good BBQ. Cooking by feel is the way i choose to do it.. I know i have a cave man mentalilty but hey.. It is what it is.. LOL i am this way about way more than just BBQ i am a DJ on the weekends and i still use wait for it............ Turntables! lol I am old school in that regard too.. I am only 26 years old but i like old school methods better than Newer methods so that is what i stick too..

Back