The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Huh. I got erm... I mean my friend has a charcoal chimney! 2 actually. Would you guys still recommend a kettle?

Everyone should own a kettle. IMO, it is the most versatile cooker out there, and they are just fun to cook on. But if you just want to sear a steak, light a chimney of lump, and put a grate on top. You will be cooking with some heat!

Everyone should own a kettle. IMO, it is the most versatile cooker out there, and they are just fun to cook on. But if you just want to sear a steak, light a chimney of lump, and put a grate on top. You will be cooking with some heat!

The price can’t be beat and they last forever. Anything special it needs? 2-3 bricks and that’s it?
How does it compare to a kamado for smoke flavor? The kamado tasted bitter to me.

The price can’t be beat and they last forever. Anything special it needs? 2-3 bricks and that’s it?
How does it compare to a kamado for smoke flavor? The kamado tasted bitter to me.

I think the bitter you are talking about is stale smoke. Kamado style grills are so tight, that if you don't burp them regularly, you will get that. Never gotten that on a weber, but I prefer the smoke on my Yoder over the kettle. Not because the kettle is bad, but because the Yoder is so good. I prefer grilling on my kettle. You will probably want some charcoal baskets, and I think the vortex is worth the money. One of these days, will probably get a rotisserie, but you don't have to have anything, if you are just wanting to grill.

I think the bitter you are talking about is stale smoke. Kamado style grills are so tight, that if you don't burp them regularly, you will get that. Never gotten that on a weber, but I prefer the smoke on my Yoder over the kettle. Not because the kettle is bad, but because the Yoder is so good. I prefer grilling on my kettle. You will probably want some charcoal baskets, and I think the vortex is worth the money. One of these days, will probably get a rotisserie, but you don't have to have anything, if you are just wanting to grill.

My wife gave me permission to get one so 26 inch or 22inch? Like you I prefer my pellet cooker for smoke. The only Weber I have experience cooking on is a 22wsm.

My wife gave me permission to get one so 26 inch or 22inch? Like you I prefer my pellet cooker over the kamado. The only Weber I have experience cooking on is a 22wsm.

Size is up to you. I just have a 22" premium, and it is more than enough for what I use it for. If you cook for a lot of people, you might want the larger one.

My wife gave me permission to get one so 26 inch or 22inch? Like you I prefer my pellet cooker for smoke. The only Weber I have experience cooking on is a 22wsm.

I've had both. It's the 26'er by 1000. It's an amazing grill and so versatile. Get the bigger one and don't look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had both. It's the 26'er by 1000. It's an amazing grill and so versatile. Get the bigger one and don't look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok will do. I’ll think on the purchase for a month or so before I make it to make sure I still want it.

BKING if you friend isn’t doing 6 or 7 steaks at a time he might take a look at Humphrey’s new sear stations. Small and compact and from the videos as have seen does a really nice job on steaks and such.

Your wife gave you permission? I thought this was for a “friend”? LOL!

Sorry if I sound like a broken record... BUT, I absolutely love my 26.75 kettle. It is soooo versatile! The flavor profile is MUCH cleaner than a kamado, especially at the lower temps. For everyday/weeknight grilling, I light up two chimneys of lump charcoal. When they are ready, I dump both into the middle of the kettle. I then rake the coals out a bit forming a decent sized pile that fills much of the charcoal grate probably about 3” from the walls all the way around. It’s a HOT fire. At that point I place my cooking grate with GrillGrates in place and leave the lid off for a few mins while the fire gets cranking. I then place the lid on and give it about 10 mins to pre-heat. Total startup time is about 20 mins. Almost all of my kettle grilling is done with this setup. When I am done grilling I snuff out the fire and reuse the left over lump charcoal for the next cook. I have tried different ways/methods and the GrillGrates are my absolute favorite because of the more intense ‘grilled’ flavor that is imparted due to cooking (semi) direct over the fire for the entire duration of the cook. Also, as mentioned, the Vortex is a must. It makes for an easy and fantastic chicken wing cooking setup. It’s also a searing beast! Speaking of searing, I do not know of a hotter sear than screaming hot lump charcoal < 1” from the meat. Maybe a Salamander broiler but that’s $$$. As far as cleanup after a messy cook, it doesn’t get much easier than the kettle. I could go on and on, and as much as I LOVE pellet cooking, I also love what the kettle does. Yes, I do use my MAK for grilling and love how it performs... but it in no way can compete with the sheer power of a lump fired kettle :)

Your wife gave you permission? I thought this was for a “friend”? LOL!

Sorry if I sound like a broken record... BUT, I absolutely love my 26.75 kettle. It is soooo versatile! The flavor profile is MUCH cleaner than a kamado, especially at the lower temps. For everyday/weeknight grilling, I light up two chimneys of lump charcoal. When they are ready, I dump both into the middle of the kettle. I then rake the coals out a bit forming a decent sized pile that fills much of the charcoal grate probably about 3” from the walls all the way around. It’s a HOT fire. At that point I place my cooking grate with GrillGrates in place and leave the lid off for a few mins while the fire gets cranking. I then place the lid on and give it about 10 mins to pre-heat. Total startup time is about 20 mins. Almost all of my kettle grilling is done with this setup. When I am done grilling I snuff out the fire and reuse the left over lump charcoal for the next cook. I have tried different ways/methods and the GrillGrates are my absolute favorite because of the more intense ‘grilled’ flavor that is imparted due to cooking (semi) direct over the fire for the entire duration of the cook. Also, as mentioned, the Vortex is a must. It makes for an easy and fantastic chicken wing cooking setup. It’s also a searing beast! Speaking of searing, I do not know of a hotter sear than screaming hot lump charcoal < 1” from the meat. Maybe a Salamander broiler but that’s $$$. As far as cleanup after a messy cook, it doesn’t get much easier than the kettle. I could go on and on, and as much as I LOVE pellet cooking, I also love what the kettle does. Yes, I do use my MAK for grilling and love how it performs... but it in no way can compete with the sheer power of a lump fired kettle :)

Sounds like a winner!

I really shouldn't have come in here. Brickseek is showing a Pit Boss Copperhead 5 for $350 at a local store. Trying to convince myself to not go pick it up. I have two large bags of pellets that have been sitting open in my garage for at least a year. If I end up with this Pit Boss do I need to get new pellets? Do pellets get stale or degrade over time?

I really shouldn't have come in here. Brickseek is showing a Pit Boss Copperhead 5 for $350 at a local store. Trying to convince myself to not go pick it up. I have two large bags of pellets that have been sitting open in my garage for at least a year. If I end up with this Pit Boss do I need to get new pellets? Do pellets get stale or degrade over time?

Pellets don’t expire UNLESS they have been affected by moisture. If they’ve been in the bag, sitting in your garage, they should be perfectly fine. I’ve never lost a bag in my garage to moisture contamination.

Pellets don’t expire UNLESS they have been affected by moisture. If they’ve been in the bag, sitting in your garage, they should be perfectly fine. I’ve never lost a bag in my garage to moisture contamination.

Well that should save me a couple bucks today. Headed to that store now to see if Brickseek is right. If it is then I will probably be a pellet boy before the day is over.

I second what Sleebus.Jones just stated... You stated that you have two bags of pellets that have been sitting open in your garage for over a year... I would at least inspect them to ensure that they haven’t degraded and couldn’t possibly damage your New PB 5 Series Copperhead Smoker. Also check for excessive sawdust in those open bags of pellets. Lastly, it’s always good to store your pellets in a properly covered plastic container to ensure their smoke burning quality and flavor as well as preventing possible damage to your grill due to degradation.

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Where in Texas are you? Down to $109 around Central Texas

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Welcome to the pellet family (I hope) [emoji16]

Well that didn't last long. I've been considering getting a pellet smoker for a while, but only really sold myself on the idea within the last couple days. Now I have that Copperhead 5 sitting in my garage waiting to be assembled. Tried to convince my brother to grab one since he mentioned wanting to make some jerky the other day. He didn't bite.

Got it for $349. Pleased with the $100 discount, but knowing my luck I'll probably see them go on sale for $200 sometime soon.

Back