The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

My first attempt

don’t be stranger around here. We like seeing pics of cooks.
I will try to upload pics. This was my first attempt at tritip, turkey, brisket and ribs on the GMG. Holidays were great!

Attachments

• IMG_2318 3.jpg
    IMG_2318 3.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2476.jpg
    IMG_2476.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 153
  • brisketpoint.jpg
    brisketpoint.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 153
  • smoked turkey.jpg
    smoked turkey.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
I had great success grilling on my yoder with grill grates...I was the one that posted pics of my melted grill grates also:). The yoder does get pretty hot!

52a6a220f64befa18905648867162ace.jpg

cf93daf622aa1c9232277dec7d438bdf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That has got to be a flaw with those grates. I have literally taken my stainless grates and heat stabilizing briquette deflectors off of my Artisan 60K + 15K rotiss. Btu gasser and replaced it with grill grates. Infrared temp was at least 1100. Never melted like yours did. Something seems amiss with yours = Id check in with GG. Super nice folk

No grill grates needed with my PitBoss Austin LX,might be something to add just to see what its all about though,takes some real heat to melt those GG

That has got to be a flaw with those grates. I have literally taken my stainless grates and heat stabilizing briquette deflectors off of my Artisan 60K + 15K rotiss. Btu gasser and replaced it with grill grates. Infrared temp was at least 1100. Never melted like yours did. Something seems amiss with yours = Id check in with GG. Super nice folk

You mean your 3 burners at 20k = 60k btu's? You didnt have 60k btu under a single grill grate surely?? If havent seen a single gas burner rated over 30k myself

Aluminum melts at 1221F...leave a grill grate over a yoder firepot full bore and certainly over my Memphis Elite fire pot at Open Flame High setting long enough and they will start to melt guaranteed...especially the very thin bottoms. It was my fault for those grill grates as I was testing to see how hot I could get them and I got a work call and got sidetracked...needless to say they went in the trash

I don’t think so either. My main reserve with the cookshack is I read one case of pellet hopper burn back where the hopper began smoldering a ton. Basically the fire got so intense it was traveling up the pellet ramp to the auger. Also just found out the entire grill is not 304 stainless.

They have my favorite design though. Truly indirect cooking with no risk of grease fire over the grease deflector, top down smoking with the smoke exiting several inches below the meat, and a permanent commercial grade charbroiler that gets to grilling temp in minutes.

Now we just need sleebus Jones to chime in lol

I've run mine quite a bit at high temps, 400° - 600°. So far, I have not managed to catch it on fire, yet. If you are feeding pellets with a lot of sawdust on them, I can see how that might accumulate on the ramp and flash over, but it'd be a pretty short lived fire I'm sure.

The grill is made out of 201 stainless. More info on 201 SS here. Short story is that 201 is essentially the same as 304, but it's cheaper. For our application, it performs the same.

Your second paragraph on the design is exactly on point. The indirect side is SO GOOD. It's really simple and genius all at the same time. Results are just killer. Easily have turned out the best ribs ever on this thing. The other thing is that it is able to get serious smoke flavor, even at higher cook temps. When I used to cook at 275° on my GMGs, if I didn't pre-smoke for an hour (at least) I just wouldn't get any smoke flavor. With this thing, I cook straight through at 275° with no pre-smoke period and I get great smoke flavor, in about half the time since I don't have to cook at 180° for extended periods to get smoke on the meat.

These STL ribs...mmmm....just look at 'em!

IhzAethl.jpg

You mean your 3 burners at 20k = 60k btu's? You didnt have 60k btu under a single grill grate surely?? If havent seen a single gas burner rated over 30k myself

Aluminum melts at 1221F...leave a grill grate over a yoder firepot full bore and certainly over my Memphis Elite fire pot at Open Flame High setting long enough and they will start to melt guaranteed...especially the very thin bottoms. It was my fault for those grill grates as I was testing to see how hot I could get them and I got a work call and got sidetracked...needless to say they went in the trash

I put mine directly over my Memphis advantage going full bore and never had an issue yet.

I've run mine quite a bit at high temps, 400° - 600°. So far, I have not managed to catch it on fire, yet. If you are feeding pellets with a lot of sawdust on them, I can see how that might accumulate on the ramp and flash over, but it'd be a pretty short lived fire I'm sure.

The grill is made out of 201 stainless. More info on 201 SS here. Short story is that 201 is essentially the same as 304, but it's cheaper. For our application, it performs the same.

Your second paragraph on the design is exactly on point. The indirect side is SO GOOD. It's really simple and genius all at the same time. Results are just killer. Easily have turned out the best ribs ever on this thing. The other thing is that it is able to get serious smoke flavor, even at higher cook temps. When I used to cook at 275° on my GMGs, if I didn't pre-smoke for an hour (at least) I just wouldn't get any smoke flavor. With this thing, I cook straight through at 275° with no pre-smoke period and I get great smoke flavor, in about half the time since I don't have to cook at 180° for extended periods to get smoke on the meat.

These STL ribs...mmmm....just look at 'em!

IhzAethl.jpg

Huh very interesting on the 201 stainless. Seems just as good. I guess pellet burn back is a risk on any pellet grill. I saw a video of a pellet hopper fire on a Memphis as well when I was doing more research. I guess freaky things just happen sometimes

Last edited:
Finally broke the Tailgater out of the box and assembled it. Not bad for $180. I can see the appeal of the Austin XL when I saw it at Walmart. It’s big for what you pay for.

Usable space on the rack is 20.5”x15.75”. I need to do a head to head with the gas smoker to see who wins the welterweight division.

e3af538fec15d11ca7e864a040d8f432.jpg

e4d5a8a9a82b438de301223ba0170a48.jpg

e2fd5549da71c5d2515ee8cac3f2c4f2.jpg

Doing the burn out right now. This ish is loud. I might as well vacuum my car with my shop vac at 1030 pm. A stick burner is silent :heh:

Well guys and gals the cook came out great and I beat the rain. I cooked these with LJ Comp blend pellets at 225° for 9hrs, on Super Smoke setting and then bumped it up to 250° to make sure I beat the rain. I cooked these straight through, no spritzing, or wrapping, I have found that I prefer the bark created this way. Everything came out great and I pulled, wrapped and put in coolers at the 14th hour. I gave 3 of these to my kids for their dinners and pulled one of them for ours. I have cooked a lot of butts in my lifetime but I honestly think this was the best one I have ever done. The bark was fantastic and the flavor was over the top. The kids all texted me that theirs were the best they had ever had. I am really loving this new 1300 and I am so glad I was able to get it. Here are a couple shots of the finished product. I hope to try the Carnitas one next week, I hope it is as good as the BBQ ones.

Back