THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have you used it yet? Just curios how the temps hold. I know with my Camp Chef they were all over the place..

Not yet. Got to get through the work week though. It’s actually still in my car, hiding from the wife :heh:

Grilled some burgers and sausage at 400 deg. Had to rescue these 2/3 pound burgers about 2/3 way through by putting them on the top half rack otherwise I’d have burned them!

Last edited:
Grilled some burgers and sausage at 400 deg. Had to rescue these 2/3 pound burgers about 2/3 way through by putting them on the top half rack otherwise I’d have burned them!

Had to rescue burgers from burning because the heat was to high on a pellet grill... who would’ve thunk... lol. Burgers looks perfect... but your poor weener kind of shriveled... lol!!

How about some steak sears on the Mak? You got some of that? :)

Not just on the stainless grates. This steak was done indirect with grill grates! Imagine what direct heat would look like.

The only pellet grills that can do steak without GrillGrates are the Cookshack pg500/1000 and Memphis grills. I don’t count Yoder just because the design pretty much requires grill grates for even heat.

Last edited:
Not just on the stainless grates. This steak was done indirect with grill grates! Imagine what direct heat would look like.

The only pellet grills that can do steak without GrillGrates are the Cookshack pg500/1000 and Memphis grills. I don’t count Yoder just because the design pretty much requires grill grates for even heat.

That is so not true on the Yoder. Cooked these tonight at 350 on the Yoder. No grill grates. Sauce covered up the grill marks, so I flipped one.

Attachments

That is so not true on the Yoder. Cooked these tonight at 350 on the Yoder. No grill grates. Sauce covered up the grill marks, so I flipped one.

I stand corrected! Looks even from here. Now how did you do the direct grilling? Start to finish, beginning, end?

How many can you direct grill at a time with even heat?
Do you prefer regular grates or grill grates?

I stand corrected! Looks even from here. Now how did you do the direct grilling? Start to finish, beginning, end?

How many can you direct grill at a time with even heat?
Do you prefer regular grates or grill grates?

It was actually indirect, meaning the diffuser plate was in. Cooked at 350 on bottom rack, for 15 minutes skin up, then flipped, cooked another 15. Then moved to the top rack. Sauced, and cooked another 15 to set the sauce.

With this method, I could probably do 40+ thighs, but that is a guess.
If I wanted to do direct, about half that, but grill grates probably would be required. I have read where people claim the Yoder has uneven heat, but mine is pretty consistent. The bottom shelf does get hotter, at higher temps, but that is a plus when grilling, and not important when going low and slow.

It was actually indirect, meaning the diffuser plate was in. Cooked at 350 on bottom rack, for 15 minutes skin up, then flipped, cooked another 15. Then moved to the top rack. Sauced, and cooked another 15 to set the sauce.

With this method, I could probably do 40+ thighs, but that is a guess.
If I wanted to do direct, about half that, but grill grates probably would be required. I have read where people claim the Yoder has uneven heat, but mine is pretty consistent. The bottom shelf does get hotter, at higher temps, but that is a plus when grilling, and not important when going low and slow.

Oh ok. When I said uneven before I wasn’t referring to indirect. I was referring to right over the firepot with the deflector plate removed. I was saying uneven since the opening doesn’t span front to back. The grill grates would even the heat out front to back.
Not saying the Yoder can’t grill obviously. Actually out of all the pellet cooked steaks I’ve seen on this thread yours had the most impressive sear. Those yoders get so hot they actually warp the aluminum grill grates lol I saw a picture of the warped grate somewhere .

Oh ok. When I said uneven before I wasn’t referring to indirect. I was referring to right over the firepot with the deflector plate removed. I was saying uneven since the opening doesn’t span front to back. The grill grates would even the heat out front to back.
Not saying the Yoder can’t grill obviously. Actually out of all the pellet cooked steaks I’ve seen on this thread yours had the most impressive sear. Those yoders get so hot they actually warp the aluminum grill grates lol I saw a picture of the warped grate somewhere .

I read it, that you had to have grill grates to sear a steak on a Yoder. I will concede that when direct grilling, you need the grill grates. I haven't tried it without them, but I just don't think it would work very well. The Yoder gets hot enough, that you really don't have to do direct grilling, to get a good sear though. Grill grates obviously makes it better, but it can turn out some pretty amazing food without them.

I read it, that you had to have grill grates to sear a steak on a Yoder. I will concede that when direct grilling, you need the grill grates. I haven't tried it without them, but I just don't think it would work very well. The Yoder gets hot enough, that you really don't have to do direct grilling, to get a good sear though. Grill grates obviously makes it better, but it can turn out some pretty amazing food without them.

It definitely appears that way. I think gtsum (correct me if I’m wrong if you read this) does a lot of indirect grilling. I think this only holds true for the “high powered” pellet units for a lack of a better word. If you go indirect you need a higher temp which is something my Mak can’t do but a Yoder or Memphis can do. Plus the single layer deflector radiates enough heat to the bottom of the meat if the temperature is high enough.

I do plan on getting a Memphis, Yoder, or cookshack for more intense searing. The Mak for general grilling (everything but steak) is the best grill I’ve cooked on and that includes charcoal, gas, and pellet. It just needs more power!

I had great success grilling on my yoder with grill grates...I was the one that posted pics of my melted grill grates also:). The yoder does get pretty hot!

52a6a220f64befa18905648867162ace.jpg

cf93daf622aa1c9232277dec7d438bdf.jpg

I do some indirect grilling, but I do a lot more reverse sears with the searing being done with the direct flame insert in and (lately) grill grates.

819c7a98df58e3604c52b4c7bfd35459.jpg

9ff374ad16760c50afdc4c7f9a8e82a5.jpg

577aa17621605d3c5af007fe73a0cf73.jpg

351ad4403063a2fe4a798713c8d84b26.jpg

If I want a more all over sear I don’t use grill grates...it’s easy for the fire to get away from you though

af841567a8f425e38326727bf4234c80.jpg

e4334ce2aecec3848dddc7dde7bc995e.jpg

83b12225442e39758c53f9b9aad1fab5.jpg

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If the pg1000 was bigger, I would like to try it...their charbroiler can’t be beat I don’t think

Memphis Elite

If the pg1000 was bigger, I would like to try it...their charbroiler can’t be beat I don’t think

Memphis Elite

I don’t think so either. My main reserve with the cookshack is I read one case of pellet hopper burn back where the hopper began smoldering a ton. Basically the fire got so intense it was traveling up the pellet ramp to the auger. Also just found out the entire grill is not 304 stainless.

They have my favorite design though. Truly indirect cooking with no risk of grease fire over the grease deflector, top down smoking with the smoke exiting several inches below the meat, and a permanent commercial grade charbroiler that gets to grilling temp in minutes.

Now we just need sleebus Jones to chime in lol

Last edited:
Back