THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did you get your shipping notice yet? Do you have the 1300, or 850 coming? I almost got the 850, as I think it would meet most of my needs but with such a small difference in price, it was kind of a no brainer to go for the 1300.

I don’t have anything coming… LOL! My post was poorly worded which caused confusion. I am excited for you, waiting on pins and needles to see you receive your new cooker, put it to good use and enjoy the heck out of it :)

I’ve got a spare rib cook going as I type this on the MAK. After an underwhelming smoke flavored rib cook last week, I wanted to get right back on the pellet horse. Two hours in smoke mode, then 245 until done. Using Lumberjack 100% mesquite. I’ll keep you guys updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next time I get pellets I want to try the mesquite and the competition blend. I’ve heard good things about the competition blend but nothing about the mesquite.

I don’t have anything coming… LOL! My post was poorly worded which caused confusion. I am excited for you, waiting on pins and needles to see you receive your new cooker, put it to good use and enjoy the heck out of it :)

Same. I’m excited for him as well.

Built a double decker pizza rack

Doing the burn off, gonna give it a try in a bit!

From someone that is dangerous with a screw driver and hammer... you’ve got SKILLS. That’s really nice. Wish “someone” would build me one (hint, hint)... lol.

What would be really cool is if you could add a rail on the bottom, allowing that bottom grate to slide in and out :)

I've had 3 different pellet grills and sold them all, swearing them off each time. But a local hardware store has the GMG Daniel Boone on sale for $399 and I'm thinking about it. I dont have a real good cooking spot worked up at my new house yet but could probably work one of those onto the deck and actually get to do some grilling/smoking again.

I've had 3 different pellet grills and sold them all, swearing them off each time. But a local hardware store has the GMG Daniel Boone on sale for $399 and I'm thinking about it. I dont have a real good cooking spot worked up at my new house yet but could probably work one of those onto the deck and actually get to do some grilling/smoking again.

I’m curious... what didn’t you like about them?

Didnt find the smoke flavor heavy enough, and I'm a light smoke kind of guy. I tried several different pellet varieties and even used the a maze n tubes. I also thought the meat got an odd texture on the outside, kind of dry, thought it might have something to do with the constant fan blowing.

Next time I get pellets I want to try the mesquite and the competition blend. I’ve heard good things about the competition blend but nothing about the mesquite.
Smoked a Brisket using the Red Oak/Mesuite blend it turned out well but really no better than the Brisket I did using 100% Hickory.

Didnt find the smoke flavor heavy enough, and I'm a light smoke kind of guy. I tried several different pellet varieties and even used the a maze n tubes. I also thought the meat got an odd texture on the outside, kind of dry, thought it might have something to do with the constant fan blowing.

It’s not for everybody. If you decide to get one again just think of it as an outdoor oven you don’t mind getting dirty lol. For that reason alone I’d consider it useful.

Smoked a Brisket using the Red Oak/Mesuite blend it turned out well but really no better than the Brisket I did using 100% Hickory.

Those are the two best pellets I have used. I don't think the smoke profile is any different between the two, but I do get the distinct bite, that you get from mesquite, when using the mesquite blend. I haven't seen the 100% mesquite pellets, but I would be concerned they would be too strong for anything other than beef. I would definitely buy some, if I seen them though. I am a mesquite fan though.

Last couple of cooks I used the Char Hickory, Pretty similar flavor to the hickory, but I love the smell of the smoke. Finally got my hands on some pecan, and maple pellets too. Thanks to Dick's sporting goods. Hopefully going to try out the pecan on a leg of lamb this weekend.

Those are the two best pellets I have used. I don't think the smoke profile is any different between the two, but I do get the distinct bite, that you get from mesquite, when using the mesquite blend. I haven't seen the 100% mesquite pellets, but I would be concerned they would be too strong for anything other than beef. I would definitely buy some, if I seen them though. I am a mesquite fan though.

Last couple of cooks I used the Char Hickory, Pretty similar flavor to the hickory, but I love the smell of the smoke. Finally got my hands on some pecan, and maple pellets too. Thanks to Dick's sporting goods. Hopefully going to try out the pecan on a leg of lamb this weekend.

Well char hickory adds another to my list I need to try. I’ve tried cherry, apple, pecan, oak, and hickory and so far it’s a toss up between pecan and hickory.

What would be really cool is if you could add a rail on the bottom, allowing that bottom grate to slide in and out :)

I thought of that after the fact... (face palm) and I thought “why didn’t you build it the full width dumba$$?”

Soooo I’m considering this one a trial run, got piles of material to build another one in the future. Did pizza on it tonight (totally forgot pics of the finished pies) and going to do them tomorrow night with a few adjustments (I’ll get pics then) like taking the heat to 500°...

Sorry to hear suds, we’ve done chicken breasts and pizza on ours so far (350° and 435° respectively) and I’ve found the smoke flavor very pleasing on the GMG Boone with GMG Texas Blend pellets.

Different strokes, but as of right now? I’m considering selling off most of my Weber’s....

Sorry to hear suds, we’ve done chicken breasts and pizza on ours so far (350° and 435° respectively) and I’ve found the smoke flavor very pleasing on the GMG Boone with GMG Texas Blend pellets.

Different strokes, but as of right now? I’m considering selling off most of my Weber’s....

Please keep at least one kettle!!! To be kettle-less would be a darn shame... almost un-American [emoji15]

Please keep at least one kettle!!! To be kettle-less would be a darn shame... almost un-American [emoji15]
Love the PG but the Kettle isn't going anywhere.

Off topic but I just received a couple of pieces to fully weaponize the Kettle into a Pizza cooking machine. :rockon:

Back