the mummy method

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
happy Thanksgiving! it's one of my favorite days and I love a properly cook turkey. unfortunately I see alot of bad birds out there. not just dry overcooked poultry but smoked birds so dark it looks unappetizing.

lately I've been playing around with cheesecloth soaked in a tasty baste to protect the skin and add layers of flavor. this can be done at the beginning of the cook or later on and the ingredients are limited by your imagination.

first things first 2 days dry brined with harvest brine

4wUTYrMh.jpg

for today's holiday turkey I simmered butter with sage and other herbs, garlic salt and pepper and then added some white wine. I soaked the cheesecloth in the mixture and draped it over the bird.

KDdwFdXh.jpg

I basted the mummy every 30 minutes

en0YN3Uh.jpg

after 90 minutes I removed the cloth. there is little color at this point but it will develop over the next 2 hrs. average set temp on the pit boss was 300° and it took about 3.5 hours for a 15 lbs bird

czOt1Fjh.jpg

I kept basting every 30 minutes or needed until done, the last time I also glazed it.

rMOA9vMh.jpg

for carving I like to remove the legs, the thighs get picked through for fat and gristle. knit gloves under latex are great for parting out a turkey. I plate the flats from the wings and separate the 2 breast filets and slice I to chunks each containing an equal portion of skin.

jvaRqqCh.jpg

I was also responsible for the gravy and stuffing so I did a homemade stock. :becky: handled the mashed taters and her delicious fresh cranberries recipe. our friend did the green bean casserole and an aunt made some desserts. I had some extra time since the pit boss requires such little tending so I made a creamy parmesan mac and cheese with black pepper.

kJoFgu5h.jpg

all in all a great day. what a difference a year makes. last year I didn't get to cook dinner......matter of fact I wasnt even allowed to eat it. just a year later and our baby girl is enjoying her first Thanksgiving

V0qVFWuh.jpg

I picked up that tip from Smokin Okie a number of years back. Works very well. I used to use it when I had my electric Cookshack.

Thanksgiving with family (offspring especially) is what it's all about! That looks exactly like a great Thanksgiving should. That turkey recipe looks worth trying, glad to see everything turned out well for you.

Turkey looks awesome Steve, thanks for the new idea!

Willow is looking as cute as ever!!!

Looks great Steve, the bard and cheesecloth method goes back several hundred years, like they say if it ain't broke why fix it. The cheese cloth will let in a certian amount of smoke if one chose to use their smoker.

Thoroughly interesting idea and really good looking results.

Thankful you had a great holiday with family, especially the munchkin.

Kind regards to you and yours.

I rub the turkey all over with butter, put a pat or two of butter in the cavity.
Wrap in cheese cloth and rub the cheese cloth with butter. Into the smoker baste with butter every hour or so. Turns out great.

Back