The brisjket source debate...

Sigh ... I understand this cerebrally... we can cook all kinds of lesser cuts of meat using the BBQ techniques we know to create a high quality product... BUT....

If you were able to magically cook each of the grades all perfectly should not the best quality meat stand above the others thus meaning if you were able to perfect your cooking of each grade your Wagyu would always be best and your select would always be the worse?

Yes, in theory. However, the qualities that make a great brisket are subjective and each cut of meat brings a different set of these qualities to the party. Some people don't like wagyu because it has a rich taste and a different texture. Others prefer it for this very reason. In this case a perfectly cooked wagyu brisket might lose to the perfectly cooked CAB or prime if it hits the right (or wrong) table.

I think there might be a magic answer here.
Not that I can believe :) Remember that the whole carcass is graded, not the brisket itself, so it is possible for a brisket off of a select carcass to have better marbling that a brisket off of a prime carcass. We've scored well with choice, CAB and Prime. I'm pretty sure that our 180 brisket in 2011 was a choice.

Quality in a brisket goes far beyond grade. Thickness of flat, aging, shape of flat, marbling, etc... I am still a believer in bendy briskets as well. Don't care what experts say, a bendy brisket works better in my experience.
If I put these thoughts together with my recent experience I think I can see the light. I've been buying brisket by the case (mostly driven by cost & convenience) from Florida Food Service in Gainesville, Fl. They are an institutional supplier catering to restaurants and independent groceries. The standard case lot is 5@15 pound (nominal) briskets, "angus choice". Out of habit I inspect and bend test each and I trim, season and cook everything the same. I do find the briskets that are more pliable with less "hard" fat (remember they are all the same "grade") cook up better that those that are stiff. Recently I cooked three out of the same case together for a family & friends gathering (same grade, same trim, same seasoning & same cooking parameters): one was OK, one was was really damn good and one was the best brisket I've ever had (mine or anyone else's). Go figure :doh:

I think there might be a magic answer here.

If I put these thoughts together with my recent experience I think I can see the light. I've been buying brisket by the case (mostly driven by cost & convenience) from Florida Food Service in Gainesville, Fl. They are an institutional supplier catering to restaurants and independent groceries. The standard case lot is 5@15 pound (nominal) briskets, "angus choice". Out of habit I inspect and bend test each and I trim, season and cook everything the same. I do find the briskets that are more pliable with less "hard" fat (remember they are all the same "grade") cook up better that those that are stiff. Recently I cooked three out of the same case together for a family & friends gathering (same grade, same trim, same seasoning & same cooking parameters): one was OK, one was was really damn good and one was the best brisket I've ever had (mine or anyone else's). Go figure :doh:

Interesting stuff there. I could give your thoughts more credence if your avatar was different... sorry FSU grad here. :wacko:

You know what would be really curious there is if you knew the pack date on those different briskies.

Interesting stuff there. I could give your thoughts more credence if your avatar was different... sorry FSU grad here. :wacko:

You know what would be really curious there is if you knew the pack date on those different briskies.
^ Been a Gator long enough to be humble and respectful, even to them who went to the women's college.:boxing:

Same case equals same kill date.
^ Didn't know that! Damn, learned something again!

I'm confused by this. Has someone implied that cooking a choice in the same cooker with a Wagyu will make the choice brisket better? That would have to be true brisket magic!

I have had way better luck cooking choice than wagyu. I prefer a really thick fatty packer with soft fat and a really large point, pliable and wet age 50 days. The recent comp we just won, last year i cooked a Strube and a national and turned in the Strube against my better judgement and only got 4th. The national choice was better. Price aint everything. It's learning how to pick em. I have cooked several hand selected briskets that were select grade and wished I could have had that brisket for a Cookoff.

I believe that having access to higher grades of beef will increase you odds of finding a good brisket, but here's another thought.

Ever notice how different folks seem to gain weight in different areas? Some get it all around their midsection. Some get bigger in their lower body. Some gain it more up top. I think we all know at least one person with a big belly and skinny legs.

My point is that this is probably also the case with cattle. Obviously not to the same extremes as humans due to generations of selective breeding, but I'm certain that there are differences between cows of the same breed in where they deposit fat.

I use to cook Wagyu brisket at comps from SRF. I like the taste and the way it comes out . You don't have to inject due to the marbling in the meat . But one Brisket would cost about $190. Now we cook 2 choice briskets which cost about $70 for both. What a difference in price. But we inject and I am very picky when I go and pick out the briskets . I look for more marbling and want to get a constant thickness in the flat . I do inject the choice briskets. They do come out good , but I can taste the difference in the meat . But that being said the judges usually can not taste the difference and all comes down to personal taste and flavor. When we would cook the Wagyu brisket be would not place . Now we cook the choice brisket , we have been placing every time . It comes down to what the judges are use to eating . Any where you go no one serves Wagyu brisket . Most of the time it is choice or once in a while you may get a prime . Also it come down to how you prepare and cook your meat. Some cook hot and fast . I am a low and slow guy. There is so many factors and every time you cook it will never be the exact same .

Back