The biggest brisket you ever saw?

A month ago I bought a couple cases over 84 pounds for a Bike Run from RD and in each case was a 21 pound choice brisky. They each had huge flats and points and trim was not so bad...both ended up with over 13 pounds of pre cooked meat which in my experience was a good ratio. Cooked up nice for chopped sammys.

I cook SRF for comps and actually prefer the mid size 15-17 as opposed to the big ones.

The reason I like to med size is that my first pair from SRF last year were both over 19 and both trimmed to between 8 & 9 pounds with long slant thin flats. That pair did end up in fourth place but I had to slice on an incredible angle to get a two inch slice. Last year I also had a 20 pound 8 ounce brisket from SRF that trimmed to 11 pounds and had a long thin slope to the flat. That one cooked into an 8th place.

Here is one I cooked last year at Dana Point ,Ca..monster SRF 25.9 pounds..1st place of 76

null-3.jpg

null-4.jpg

Once had a 26.75# SRF.

Don't really care about the weight myself, the thickness of the flat is what concerns me.

I had a 20+ pounder, but had a bigger flat on a 15#'er before.. Fat can weight a lot and add a lot of weight to it.. hell, a brisket can weigh 1,000+ pounds until the head and hoofs are trimmed off.

True about the flats, I look for good flat size and shape and don't care about the weight. Have seen some 20 lbers bu never cooked anything bigger than a 18.5. For comps I prefer 14 to 16 with the right flat.

Chris, where did you get that foil/plastic wrap dispenser in that pic? I could use one of those.

Since all teams copy each other on that stuff, my guess is it's a:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kenkut-Plastic-Film-Foil-Dispenser/dp/B004I3VSPQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373919835&sr=8-1&keywords=kencut3"]Amazon.com: Kenkut 3 Plastic Film and Foil Dispenser: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Back to the topic: I was just talking to SRF Customer Service about their large brisket supply. Their internal nickname for the 17+ lbs is "unicorns" - as in mythical creatures rumored to exist, but seldom seen.

Back