The Bacon Tomato sandwich

I grow tomatoes every year and this too is my favorite time of year for BLT's. With all the rain We have had this year the home grown tomatoes are great this year.

Part of me thinks it is all in my head, but, it just seems home grown is better

Those look fantastic! My plants did not do all that great this year. I've taken a few off and just eaten em with some salt. Course it doesn't help that our dog, Coco, has a thing for eating GREEN tomatoes. She pulls em off and eats em!
I don't dare show her how to make a sammich with bacon or all hell will break loose with what is left of the plants!

You are right, Bob, nothing beats the taste of homegrown. Even the cherry tomatoes are great off the vines. Store bought will never compare!

Bob, I had a friend, one year she planted 18 plants, her dog would bite and spit every green tomato and pepper, just one bite, and spit. She harvested nothing.

Bob, I had a friend, one year she planted 18 plants, her dog would bite and spit every green tomato and pepper, just one bite, and spit. She harvested nothing.

Coco actually eats em. I go out and find the small end pieces left. She's eaten some squash too and the greens on the onions. I don't know where she got the vegetarian part..........probably from my wife's side of the family! :laugh:

I keep looking at those sammiches and they keep calling me. There is a lot to be said about the flavor combo of a good tomato and mayonnaise! They go so well together. I agree with Ron, some avocado would go very well with that combo too!

Landarc it is NOT in your head!! I only eat fresh tomatoes about 2 months out of the year. I can't stand store baught ones. There is ZERO flavor compared to home grown. I just put up 44 quarts this past weekend. Now when it's March I can have a taste of july!

I haven't been able to garden for a while, this was my return, and I am wondering why I only planted 5 plants.

I have not gotten the production I would have liked. But, plenty to eat fresh. Which is good enough for me this year.

Landarc wrote:
"These slices were joined by some Neuske's bacon, allegedly and arguably the best bacon you can get"

^X2

Years ago I was reading a Dick Francis novel. The protagonist made himself a cheese and tomato sandwich. I tried it with a fresh tomato and some good cheddar. Now that's one of my favorite summer lunches.

Back