THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S

Stiltz6ft9in

WHat would be the best way to thaw a frozen 2lb Brisket Flat and then how long do you think it would take to smoke?

Yep, thaw it gently.

That small a flat I'd season, wrap with bacon, and cook gently at 225-250. Get some good color on it (about 2 hours) and then I'd definately wrap it in foil and continue cooking until tender.

The general rule with brisket is 1-1.5 hours per pound, but that's for a packer with lots of fat and connective tissue.

I've had good success with flats in the past, but I haven't done one in a long time. Watch it like a hawk or it'll get dried out.

Could I spray it with something? I going to rub it with mustard, season it and cook it. I don't have any apple juice, so is there something else I could spray with?

I've also used a cast iron griddle/skillet to get the thaw going. Something about setting frozen stuff on cast iron expediates the thaw. This is just on the counter, not over a heat source.

Keep it out of the sun, and check it every 20-30 minutes to see how the thaw is progressing (I set a timer). Put it in the fridge to finish up or if you get worried about it setting out too long.

I found a 1.68 lb. brisket 'remnant' at Kroger last weekend - it came out of the pack, rubbed with Plowboys Bovine Bold and onto the smoker. It was on at 250 +/- for 2 hours, sprayed a couple of times with AJ/Tattoo, then foiled with more spray and left on for another 1.5 hours at 225. Juicy, tender, and it made excellent sammich stuffs. :)

I got it thawed, rubbed and wrapped in bacon. Waiting for the pit to come up to temp...

Back