Thanksgiving Side Dishes

How do you make your Deviled Eggs? Mine are ok, but not much better than average. John Cantwell served some amazing deviled eggs at Taste. I should have asked for the recipe.

Eric
Wife says she uses....
eggs, mayo, mustard, vinegar, sprinkle with paprika.

Buster Dog wrote: "I think I am only one who doesn't like pumpkin, sweet potatoes or cranberries" ,No you are not ,And I dont like every thing to touch each on the plate as well :crazy: I even have the diver type trays for big dinners(like the lil kids have)...lol

The Neeleys had a Killer recipie for Glazed Sweet potatoes. Then I made them on the grill like Pig Candy. It was killer.

My mother's stuffing (she used both bread chunks and cornbread) with real turkey gravy (had some giblets in it)!

Hub

Side Dish:
The noun has one meaning:
Meaning #1: a dish subordinate to a main course

Using this as the proper definition of side dish it is quite apparent, from where I sit, that Stuffing is NOT a side dish. Because Stuffing IS the best part of Thanksgiving dinner.

A turkey is only an edible vessel for cooking Stuffing. I will maintain that a properly executed stuffing is, in fact, the main course while everything else, Turkey included, are side dishes.

Please Note: Dressing would be a side dish because it's not as good as Stuffing.

Our deviled eggs are pretty tame by this forum's standards.
Split the boiled eggs .....dig out the yallers.
Mash em up with some mayo and mustard, add in some sweet pickle relish.
spoon it into the whites....dash on some paprika on the top for color.
Yep. That's my exact recipe that I got from my mom.

A pretty simple one I make usually for our squadron thanksgiving lunch. It's usually the first side dish thats gone at that luncheon. And it's so easy.

1 box of Kraft Sharp Cheddar Mac & Cheese Deluxe
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51V8VD8X4EL.jpg

2 Cups of frozen corn
Chili powder (optional)
Shredded Cheese (optional)

Just make the mac & cheese as directed, and heat up the frozen corn in a pot. Strain the corn, and mix with the mac & cheese. You can be done here, or do what I normally do, and sprinkle in some chili powder then put some shredded cheese on top and throw it under the broiler for a few to melt and crisp up.

I actually just made some of this this morning to take to my daughters school for their thanksgiving lunch today.....without the chili powder though.

Side Dish:
The noun has one meaning:
Meaning #1: a dish subordinate to a main course

Using this as the proper definition of side dish it is quite apparent, from where I sit, that Stuffing is NOT a side dish. Because Stuffing IS the best part of Thanksgiving dinner.

A turkey is only an edible vessel for cooking Stuffing. I will maintain that a properly executed stuffing is, in fact, the main course while everything else, Turkey included, are side dishes.

Please Note: Dressing would be a side dish because it's not as good as Stuffing.
Live on the edge Larry. There is only one center of the plate, everything else is on the side!

The English pea casserole and the Oyster dressing both sound wonderful. Does anyone like sauerkraut? Red cabbage salad? I have some good recipes for both, being of German heritage I may be biased but you would like my sauerkraut even if you aren't keen to it!
Cheers,
Brian

The English pea casserole and the Oyster dressing both sound wonderful. Does anyone like sauerkraut? Red cabbage salad? I have some good recipes for both, being of German heritage I may be biased but you would like my sauerkraut even if you aren't keen to it!
Cheers,
Brian

Brian, I would love both recipes for your sauerkraut und rotkraut. I worked in a German restaurant many years ago and the chef made something called Jaggaer sauce. He kept the recipe a secret and it was delicious. Do you have a recipe for that?

Please send me a PM if you do. I thank you in advance.

I would say if you took a poll more people likes the dressing better than the turkey. The turkey is just a delivery system for the dressing

Blue and Chris,
Many ways to do kraut as you may know. Most people have had the super-sour kind right from the barrel or can and hated it. The way it should be done is moist but not soupy. I like to make it like this:
Drain in a colander and rinse once
Squeeze the kraut, common sense here as you don't wan't to totally wring it out
I usually try a pinch raw at this point to tell if it is too sour
Rinse and squeeze again if too sour
Heat some butter or bacon fat(best) in a skillet
Saute for about 5 minutes
At this point I like to add cooked broad egg noodles and minced cooked pork to the pan, and cook until the noodles are a little brown. But whatever you like can be added: apples, onion, caraway seeds, allspice, etc.
You could also add a liquid such as dry white wine, Champagne, pineapple with liquid, apple juice, etc and simmer 1 hour. Best a day later using this method.

Red Cabbage Salad is easy
Fry about 5-6 slices of bacon until crispy
Remove bacon from pan
Add 1 tablespoon sugar, about 1/4 cup red wine, 2 tablespoons vinegar to the fat. Heat until mixed.
Pour over a small head of shredded red cabbage.
Mix a small amout of corn oil with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, caraway seeds to taste, and the crumbled bacon. Mix with the cabbage and serve at room temp.

I along with my sous-chef's(kids 10&12) make garlic mash potatoes, corn bread dressing, candied pecan granny smith apple yam casserole, cream corn, mac & cheese, green bean casserole, creamy cucumbers, fresh cranberries, brown and serve rolls. MIL makes the bird(damn good) and gravy, and Wifey bakes a couple pies.

Here is a coleslaw recipe that many family and guests have enjoyed:

[FONT=&quot]Cranberry Apple coleslaw[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ingredients:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]14 ounces shredded cabbage and carrot coleslaw mix[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 granny smith apples[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 cups dried cranberries[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/2 cup mayonnaise[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/4 cup sour cream[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/4 cup apple cider vinegar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons honey[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 teaspoon mustard powder[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]½ teaspoon white pepper[/FONT]
·
· Directions:
· Core the apples and cut them into long thin strips (sort of like a large matchstick)
· In a large mixing bowl, combine the coleslaw mix, sliced apples, and cranberries. In a smaller mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar honey, mustard powder, and white pepper until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Pour the dressing over the coleslaw mixture and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour prior to serving.

I made this again for a pre Thanksgiving dinner that a friend was having and there were 19 guests. None of the coleslaw was left over at the end of the meal. I did double the powdered mustard to 2 teaspoons and I think it was even better,

Back