Thanksgiving Side Dishes

English Pea recipie please Redhot. Sounds Tasty

Dan

Well, just like my grandma who first made it, I use no recipe. She just whipped it up one Thanksgiving years and years ago and everyone liked it so much she kept making it. She just told me what she put in it and approximate amounts (same as her cornbread dressing which I miss so much). So you can add amounts to your taste.

2 cans LeSueur Early Peas/drained (they hold up better to stirring)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1-2 cups shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese (I don't use pre-shredded cheese because it doesn't melt as well)
Salt/pepper to taste (I also add cayenne but that's just me)
1 can french fried onions

Mix the peas, soup, salt/pepper about 1 cup of the onions and all but about 1/2 cup of the cheese and pour into a greased casserole dish. The mixture should be thick/if too thin add more cheese or another can of peas. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes then mix the remaining cheese and onions and spread over the top. Bake for an additional 10 - 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling up through the onions. YUM!:clap2:

I can attest to the English Pea Casserole's goodness! The first time Redhot made it for me though, as I was pulling it out of the oven, I dropped the pan and it spilled all over her BRAND NEW kitty kat house shoes.:icon_blush: Luckily missing any skin so no burns, but that cheese never did come out of them slippers...

My wife makes a ridiculous casserole with grits, collards, bacon, and tons of butter, parmesan, and cream. Certainly not healty at all, but it is the one thing I look forward to most every year.
That sounds so insanely good. I'd make that for "big" dinners all year.

I have two sides that are my favorites. The sweet potato casserole is from years and years ago, and we added the yellow squash casserole a couple years back after we'd had a similar version at Miss Mary Bobo's.

Arlington Rose Society Sweet Potato Casserole

For casserole:
3 C rough-smashed cooked sweet potatoes
1 C sugar
1/3 stick soft butter
1/2 C evaporated milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp salt

For topping:
1 C brown sugar
1/3 C flour
1/3 stick butter, melted
1 C chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine casserole ingredients well and turn in to greased dish. In a separate small bowl, combine sugar and flour, then drizzle in melted butter and mix well with fork until mixture makes crumbs. Add the pecans, then sprinkle the crumb mixture over the top of the casserole. Bake 35 minutes.

Yellow Squash Casserole

4-5 yellow straightneck squash
1 C chopped sweet onion
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
1/4 C butter, melted
1/2 C sour cream
1/4 C mayonnaise
Pepper
2 C shredded cheddar
Club crackers

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Slice squash into coins, and set in salted water with chopped onion. Bring to boil, and boil for 6 minutes; drain well.

Combine soup, melted butter, sour cream and mayonnaise; add pepper to taste. Stir in 1 C shredded cheddar, and about 1/4-1/3 sleeve smashed club crackers.
Fold squash gently into soup mixture, and turn into buttered casserole. Top with remaining cheese and crumbled crackers, dotted with butter. Bake for 30 minutes.

For casserole:
1 C sugar
1/3 stick soft butter
1/2 C evaporated milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp salt

For topping:
1 C brown sugar
1/3 C flour
1/3 stick butter, melted
1 C chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine casserole ingredients well and turn in to greased dish. In a separate small bowl, combine sugar and flour, then drizzle in melted butter and mix well with fork until mixture makes crumbs. Add the pecans, then sprinkle the crumb mixture over the top of the casserole. Bake 35 minutes.

OK, this one is a keeper! Thanks!:thumb:

The sweet potato casserole is from years and years ago,

For casserole:
1 C sugar
1/3 stick soft butter
1/2 C evaporated milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp salt

For topping:
1 C brown sugar
1/3 C flour
1/3 stick butter, melted
1 C chopped pecans

This is THE BOMB, only slight variation is that we put in a bit of vanilla. So good you'll be spare changin' the folks at the mall to get more.

I'm going to make Sweet Potato casserole with Okinawan Purple sweet taters. Can't wait to see the look on people's faces!

We always make Santa Fe relish- super easy, and it 'outsells' cranberry sauce at least 2 to 1.

Santa Fe Relish

12 oz. bag fresh cranberries
1 jalapeno, seeded and deveined
1 green onion
Fresh cilantro (to taste; I use very little)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cumin

Process in a food processor, and refrigerate overnight.

I never was much for cranberry sauce, pumpkin anything or sweet taters/yams.
But I love me some dressing , green beans straight up or in casserole, mashed taters and gravy from the turkey giblets and drippings, Mac and cheese, deviled eggs are a must at any family dinner.

Here is a coleslaw recipe that many family and guests have enjoyed:

[FONT=&quot]Cranberry Apple coleslaw[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ingredients:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]14 ounces shredded cabbage and carrot coleslaw mix[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 granny smith apples[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 cups dried cranberries[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/2 cup mayonnaise[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/4 cup sour cream[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/4 cup apple cider vinegar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons honey[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 teaspoon mustard powder[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]½ teaspoon white pepper[/FONT]
·
· Directions:
· Core the apples and cut them into long thin strips (sort of like a large matchstick)
· In a large mixing bowl, combine the coleslaw mix, sliced apples, and cranberries. In a smaller mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar honey, mustard powder, and white pepper until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Pour the dressing over the coleslaw mixture and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour prior to serving.

Collard greens slow cooked with ham hocks, onion and Guinness is a holiday staple at my T-day dinners, along with oyster giblet dressing, homemade mac n cheese and the rest of the traditional sides.

Typical cajun here (I assume, it was for me). Fried turkey, dirty rice (rice dressing), cornbread dressing, candied yams, green bean casserole, pecan pie. I hate cranberries too, I don't even break up the canned jelled stuff, just let it plop on a plate and put it out there.

For all of those that hate cranberries, I'm right there with you. So last year I decided to try them in a way that I hoped I would like, and it worked great. I can't remember where I got the recipe(somewhere on the interweb), but in the food proccessor, I blended a bag of cranberries with a fresh orange, some honey, sugar, fresh jalepenos, and seasoning to make a salsa. It was really good. I added a lot more jalepenos than called for to give it a nice sweet taste from the cranberries and honey, that was followed up by a pretty intense heat.

Our deviled eggs are pretty tame by this forum's standards.
Split the boiled eggs .....dig out the yallers.
Mash em up with some mayo and mustard, add in some sweet pickle relish.
spoon it into the whites....dash on some paprika on the top for color.

Back